Acura World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cutch
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I apologize if this topic has been asked elsewhere, but so far I haven't come across it and would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Last year my TCS light started coming on on its own, and the only way I have been able to turn it off has been to restart my car... which is a pain.

If I coast up a hill or coast after turning off my cruise control or brake to a stop the light on my dash will turn on ~80% of the time. Pressing the TCS button on the side does nothing (but it does work perfectly fine if the TCS system hasn't been tripped yet on my drive). It gets really annoying during the winter since I normally have to take a few unplowed roads to get to the highway.

I have had the advanced codes read on it (31 Engine Retard Command {PFINH} Signal Problem & 34 Reference Voltage {VREF} Signal Problem) but the shop said they really had no clue and all they could gather it meant was that it is a warning of some kind. And I don't think its a wheel speed sensor because I've had those checked and was told the wiring was all good. There were also no loose or corroded connections and all of the fuses were in good condition.

Has anyone heard of this problem before or what the fix is? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
This should help :)

Before step 1, disconnect the modulator unit 24P connector and ABS/TCS control unit connector C (12P). Before step 2, connect the modulator unit 24P connector.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Cutch
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

You lost me with the attachments though - are the 31 and 34 codes I retrieved supposed to correspond to the DTC codes listed on the table? Where exactly am I supposed to look in my car for this circuit? Also, they only list steps 4 and 6, not 1 and 2 as you mentioned... :S

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
These steps refer to the codes you have. I numbered 1 and 2 as the same steps as the image numbers, not as the same as the steps. The other steps were blank pages with the same things I outlined in the body of the post, just without a couple blank images.

Read it through carefully, you'll get it...

·
Cutch
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right it does make a little more sense now. I won't get around to testing it until Sunday, once I've found the unit, so I'll let you know how it goes from there.

Do you know if an old transmission could be a potential cause of this issue as well?

·
Cutch
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I referenced my Haynes and car manuals and am having no luck finding the ABS unit or the circuits that I should be testing. I thought they were behind/under the radio console panel on the passenger side, but there are way too many wires coming out of that box to be what I'm looking for. I can see the orange plug in my engine bay (to unplug before testing) connected to the modulator unit on the left side by the washer fluid cap, but no way into the unit so I don't think I need to touch that.

Could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EGR Valve may be going bad

I had the same issue with a TCS light on with my 1999 Acura TL. I could not figure it out nor could the mechanic that I had look at it. About 9 months of the light coming on, the computer through a EGR lift problem. I cleaned out the carbon from the EGR valve and the system per the Acura service bulletin from Dec 17, 2001 and I still had the EGR lift problem. I then replaced the EGR valve and the TCS light turned off and the TCS system has been working perfectly since.

I suspect that the TCS system is powered by exhaust gas and the EGR port for the TCS system was probably clogged. Part is $75 at Advanced Auto.

My TL has 233,000 miles on it. So I am starting to see some odd problems and parts are just wearing out. I recently had to replace the Catalytic Converter as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.