Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1999 acura TL from a lady that bought it from someone else. It has 250k miles and I'm not sure if it's been properly serviced or surviced according to the user manual. That being said i have read about the transmission issues and I'm not sure the model i have is one that has those issues or not. I know that something is wrong with my car though. The first thing that happened has only happened maybe 5 times and what it's doing is If I drive and the car has time to get warmed up and then i stop and cut it off for about 30 min then try cranking it again it will crank for a second then it kinda stalls and cuts off. I'll crank it again and it will do the same but if I press the gas it will rev up and stay running and I won't have another problem with it cutting off while idling it's only happened a couple times so that isn't my sever problem. The big issue is that all of a sudden the other day I drove about 100 miles and cut it off for about 20 mins then got back in it. It started fine but when I tried to drive it it went into first gear then instead of going into second gear it kind of went into neutral as in the rpms would go up but the car was not going faster. then i guess it caught the gear and jolted the car going faster. Then it will rev up for a few seconds before it hard shifts into 3rd and easily goes into 4th. It does it wether it has warmed up or if its cold. Does anyone have a solution that isn't changing the whole transmission. I cant afford to replace the transmission. Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First things first: If you are unsure of when the last service was, then go get it serviced and have all the fluids changed. Engine coolant, brake fluid, transmission oil, engine oil.

Then drive it for a while...

If you still have problems after that then you can start worrying about replacing pricey parts then.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
3 Posts
I bought a new 99TL in 11/1998 and I’m still driving it today. I believe your starting problem is a bad ignition switch. This was a common problem with Honda products. I replaced mine a few years ago and haven’t had a problem since. You can get a new switch from Advance Auto: Site won’t allow me to post links yet. Email me directly and I will provide links if you wish

Here is a YouTube video on how to replace. There are screws that need to be removed so you don’t crack the case like this guy. You will need an angled screwdriver:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have owned my 99 TL since new as well and have had very little issue until the other day when I broke a drive shaft on the way to work. I have 230K miles, changed fluids and timing belt as recommended. I would check and see if there is any reference to the timing belt being changed. I can be inspected to check wear and give you an idea of it age. As for the drive shaft I would have some on check them over. there is a rubber damper about mid way clamped around the shaft. this area apparently collected moisture and rusted when it had be cracked and broken for some time as there was only a small section of clean break. The other shaft showed similar signs so I had them both replaced, did not have time to do it myself. The only other issue I had is when it very hot out side and I driving for quite a while, and shut down for a short time 10 min or so it will be difficult to restart. This turn out to be carbon build up i a small blessed port in the intake manifold, easy to clean out but the intake needs to come off. I attributed it to running reg gas, as it happen only after switching to reg. I had run Premium of the first 10 years. The ingestion switch i believe was a recall item you can check with any dealer to see if yours was done. Enjoy your car they really hold up well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Shanna I did not answer the prime question. From my research the trans problems were not with the 99 they started 01-02. I assume you check trans fluid levels. I have always stayed with Honda trans fluid as shifting problems can occur with other brands. My wife 2006 TL displayed a similar behavior where it would not speed up past about 35mph so she got home. turn out the alternator was dead and the car shifted to "safe mode" to be drivable home. The trans is all computer controlled and could be an electronic issue rather than mechanical. wish you luck let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.