Acura World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My black key will not turn in the ignition switch anymore and I have to turn my gray key 2 or 3 times before the car will start. I do not have a red key. I see ignition switches with keys for sale at auto salvage yards. If I replace my ignition switch in my car will I have to do anything else to get it to work? Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1999 ACURA RL IGNITION SWITCH PROBLEM

Tim, thanks for the reply. The black key does not work no matter what I do to it. If I buy a used ignition switch and keys, then what will I need to do other than replace my old one? thanks, Phil

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Something's weird here. I've never heard of a key having a weak transponder. If removed from the key ring, will the black key work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Tim, thanks again for you reply. The black key does not work off of the key ring. I am curious why you think the black key has a weak transponder instead of just being worn out? Again, if I install a used ignition switch with keys, will I need to do anything else for the car to accept the new switch? Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I didn't think the key was weak, there was a bulletin about some types of key rings affecting the transponder signal so that the car won't start. I'm making sure that isn't the issue before you spend money on parts.

The ignition switch doesn't come with the immobilizer, so you'd need a key with your existing transponder signal, and the new key code. Or, you can simply affix the working key to the inside of the cowl cover, thereby defeating the immobilizer circuit altogether. Depends on how much you care about it working, I guess. That's what shops do to install remote starts on vehicles of this type.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Tim, thanks again for your reply. Can you give me a little more detail, so I can 'affix the working key to the inside of the cowl cover, thereby defeating the immobilizer circuit altogether'. If I do this, then can I install another used ignition switch and resolve the problem? Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Sure. Hold your working key near your column and try starting it with the non-working key. If it starts, then you can simply take a piece of duct tape and affix the key to the inside of one of the steering column cowl covers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

OK Tim thanks for hanging with me. My black key will no longer turn the ignition at all. It is as if it is the wrong key, but it used to work fine. The gray key does work but often it requires 2 or 3 turns. My thought is the black key is just worn out, what do you think? I am not sure why the gray key takes 2 or 3 turns, what do you think? My real question is can I buy a used ignition switch from a junkyard with keys and solve my problems, what do you think? thanks, Phil

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Dunno. Personally I'd have it repaired by a locksmith. I'm guessing the tumbler assembly is worn out, if the other keys won't turn in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts