Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading more and more and more about the usual no fuel, no start symptoms I figured I was home free assuming the main relay was my problem. It was NOT! Fuel pump for the second time in this cars life.

So, it is a 99 RL with 241,000 miles, fantastic condition and maintenance records all the way back. About 100,000 miles prior- there is a repair receipt for $600 for a new fuel pump and filter and fuel system "flush". Runs really well. Died at my house (that was kind of nice...!) Ran great all day and for years prior then never started again. Tested positive for spark, new battery, etc. No fuel at the filter. Didn't test anything else and got a relay with the encouragement of most people and that didn't work.

The point of my post is that it is easy to test if you are getting power to the pump. Pull the trunk mat and forward trim carpet to expose the top of the fuel filter access. Remove 4 screws, find the 2 wire harness that plugs into the pump, unplug it, attach a current tester with a light, fold down the seat access hole in the back seat and set up the light so you can see it from the drivers seat. Turn the key and watch for the light to come on (don't start the engine), and then the light to go off in a couple seconds. Then attempt to start the engine and the light should come back on even if the engine doesn't start. If this is the scenario, the relay works and is delivering power to the pump (well right now only to the harness that you have unplugged), but the pump isnt working. Also while doing this, the relay clicks at the same time that your test light goes on and off.

I also gave the pump 12 volts and the pump did not activate nor did fuel get delivered to the filter.

New pump- started right up like nothing ever happened. So- its not always the MAIN RELAY, and you dont have to install a pump to figure out if it is actually the problem!

Cheers!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Very useful info. Thanks for posting.
Before you did this, did you hear the fuel pump start up?

After reading more and more and more about the usual no fuel, no start symptoms I figured I was home free assuming the main relay was my problem. It was NOT! Fuel pump for the second time in this cars life.

So, it is a 99 RL with 241,000 miles, fantastic condition and maintenance records all the way back. About 100,000 miles prior- there is a repair receipt for $600 for a new fuel pump and filter and fuel system "flush". Runs really well. Died at my house (that was kind of nice...!) Ran great all day and for years prior then never started again. Tested positive for spark, new battery, etc. No fuel at the filter. Didn't test anything else and got a relay with the encouragement of most people and that didn't work.

The point of my post is that it is easy to test if you are getting power to the pump. Pull the trunk mat and forward trim carpet to expose the top of the fuel filter access. Remove 4 screws, find the 2 wire harness that plugs into the pump, unplug it, attach a current tester with a light, fold down the seat access hole in the back seat and set up the light so you can see it from the drivers seat. Turn the key and watch for the light to come on (don't start the engine), and then the light to go off in a couple seconds. Then attempt to start the engine and the light should come back on even if the engine doesn't start. If this is the scenario, the relay works and is delivering power to the pump (well right now only to the harness that you have unplugged), but the pump isnt working. Also while doing this, the relay clicks at the same time that your test light goes on and off.

I also gave the pump 12 volts and the pump did not activate nor did fuel get delivered to the filter.

New pump- started right up like nothing ever happened. So- its not always the MAIN RELAY, and you dont have to install a pump to figure out if it is actually the problem!

Cheers!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts