Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing a new MDX in 2014 I wasn’t fully satisfied when we paid over 50k and noticed it didn’t have as many options as other comparable SUV’s. The warranty was the most concerning being only 4 years, however after listening to other Acura owners and good reviews we purchased it. Fast forward to 2020 for no reason the vehicle began to smoke and over heat. After sending to an Acura dealership it was discovered that a faulty relay had malfunctioned and heated up and melting the fuse box and wire almost catching the car on fire! Mind you my wife and kids were in the car at the time!!! Acura agrees that this was a malfunction of the relay and should have never malfunctioned in this way. However because it is out of warranty they will not cover at a minimum the cost of the parts. The entire repair with labor cost just over $2,000.00. Nothing worst then Acura not standing by there product. To say the least I understand that things are out of people’s control and all professionals I have spoken with all agree that this was a freak incident that is extremely rare! Even Acura corporate recognized this and greed it was nothing I did to cause this however still refused to back there product giving an excuse that the relay they use is used by several different companies and not an Acura product. To say the least this was the 1st time I was an Acura owner and for $50k we will be looking for a company that does a better job of backed there product. Acura you have lost my business for ever and I recommend to friends and family to look else where.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues you had with your Acura. Glad the family is safe and sound. There are threads on other forums about owners having engine fires. Seems to be limited to 14-15 model years (so far). Maybe your MDX had the same issue; but, it didn't result in an engine bay fire?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After purchasing a new MDX in 2014 I wasn’t fully satisfied when we paid over 50k and noticed it didn’t have as many options as other comparable SUV’s. The warranty was the most concerning being only 4 years, however after listening to other Acura owners and good reviews we purchased it. Fast forward to 2020 for no reason the vehicle began to smoke and over heat. After sending to an Acura dealership it was discovered that a faulty relay had malfunctioned and heated up and melting the fuse box and wire almost catching the car on fire! Mind you my wife and kids were in the car at the time!!! Acura agrees that this was a malfunction of the relay and should have never malfunctioned in this way. However because it is out of warranty they will not cover at a minimum the cost of the parts. The entire repair with labor cost just over $2,000.00. Nothing worst then Acura not standing by there product. To say the least I understand that things are out of people’s control and all professionals I have spoken with all agree that this was a freak incident that is extremely rare! Even Acura corporate recognized this and greed it was nothing I did to cause this however still refused to back there product giving an excuse that the relay they use is used by several different companies and not an Acura product. To say the least this was the 1st time I was an Acura owner and for $50k we will be looking for a company that does a better job of backed there product. Acura you have lost my business for ever and I recommend to friends and family to look else where.
[This is so true, ACURA do not back their product; my 2004 TL dash started cracking, along with the radio and gps speaking going out - known problem and no luck with getting Acura to help with the repair. Both should have been recalled by acura]. My last Honda product - have own a Honda for over 20 years. Although, I only go to their repair shop for minor repairs - it’s still a complete rip off].

1 - 3 of 3 Posts