Acura World banner

2000 Acura TL won't idle

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Hondacuraplanet 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, but I have been reading posts for some time now. I have a 2000 Acura TL w/ 155K. Spark plugs and timing belt have been recently replaced. Throttle body is clean. As of about week ago, every other time I come to a stop in gear, the RPM's drop below 500, the car shakes, and then dies.

Any ideas of what to do next?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
If the idle learn doesn't do the trick, here's how to adjust the car's idle:

Adjust the idle speed using the Honda PGM Tester procedure if possible. If not, use the following procedure:

NOTE:

Leave the IAC valve connected.

Before setting the idle speed, check these items:

- The MIL has not been reported on.

- Ignition timing

- Spark plugs

- Air cleaner

- PCV system

On Canadian models, press the parking brake pedal. Start the engine, then check that the headlights are off.

Disconnect the EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector.

Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (transmission in Park or neutral position) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.

Check the idle speed with no-load conditions: headlights, blower fan, rear defogger, radiator fan, and air conditioner off.

Idle speed should be:

'99-01 models: 680+/-50 rpm (in Park or neutral)

'02-03 models: 750+/-50 rpm (in Park or neutral)

Adjust the idle speed, if necessary, by turning the idle adjusting screw (A) 1/4-turn clockwise or counterclockwise.

NOTE: Do not turn the idle adjusting screw more than 1/4-turn without checking the idle speed.

After turning the idle adjusting screw 1/4-turn, check the idle speed again. If it is out of spec, turn the idle adjusting screw 1/4-turn again.

Allow the engine to idle for 1 minute with the heater fan switch at HI and air conditioner on, then check the idle speed.

Idle speed should be:

'99-01 models: 680+/-50 rpm (in Park or neutral)

'02-03 models: 750+/-50 rpm (in Park or neutral)

NOTE:

Do not turn the idle adjusting screw when the air conditioner is on.

If the idle speed is not within specification, see the Symptom Troubleshooting Index.

Reconnect the EVAP canister purge valve 2P connector.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.