Acura World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the High Pressure Power Steering Hose on my wife's 2000 TL and it has suddenly developed a brand new problem. While I was bleeding the P/S system of air, the idle suddenly started to pulse or surge... jumps from around 900 rpm up to around 1500 rpm, and back down again in about a one second cycle (1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. up.. down.. up.. down) I found a vacuum hose that got bumped loose... hooked it back up... everything settled down for about five minutes, and it's back at it again.

The symptom was not there before the hose replacement, and developed while I was bleeding air from the steering system. Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update: Results of an internet search of the symptom all pointed to a bad Idle Air Control Valve, which made no sense at all to me. I'd replaced the High Pressure Hose from the pump to the rack, how could that possibly cause the IAC to go bad? I was convinced that I'd managed to break something in the process of snaking that hose through all those tight spaces... that I'd nicked a vacuum hose, or damaged an electrical connector somewhere without realizing it.

I wasted a day searching for the damage I'd done, but couldn't find a thing. (In tracing every hose I thought I'd found the problem... a disconnected hose lying on the subframe near the rear motor mount, but discovered that the previous owner had replaced the motor mounts with a solid non-vacuum assist type, and a hose I thought I'd knocked loose was actually plugged, and just lying there waiting, ready to be reconnected to an OEM part in the future.)

I finally broke down, and replaced the Idle Air Control Valve. And yes... that was the problem. Kinda strange that it would decide to go bad while I was working on the steering system, but it did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts