Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The service manual for my 2001 MDX shows that the fuel filter/pump assembly is accessed by taking out the middle seat. It also mentions that a special tool is needed to remove the assembly from the tank.

Is there any way to remove the assembly without any special tools?

Also, the parts websites (e.g Delray) don't show a fuel filter. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2001 MDX Front Control Arm Bushings

The front control arm bushings on my 2001 MDX are starting to crack. My MDX has 86,000 miles. There is no unusual play in the wheels, so I think the bearings and ball joint are OK. (I have just replaced the stabilizer links, and I will replace the stabilizer bushings next weekend.)

Is there any way to replace these bushings without removing the entire control arm?

In order to remove the control arm, I understand that I will need a special tool. Where might I borrow or rent this tool?

How well do the ball joints hold up on MDXs? Can I expect to get another 50k miles on these?

·
Tastes minty
7,324 Posts
I'm pretty sure the fuel filter is considered a 'non-serviceable item' on the MDX, meaning you never have to change it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The service manual for my 2001 MDX shows that the fuel filter/pump assembly is accessed by taking out the middle seat. It also mentions that a special tool is needed to remove the assembly from the tank.

Is there any way to remove the assembly without any special tools?

Also, the parts websites (e.g Delray) don't show a fuel filter. Am I missing something?
A large flat-head screwdriver and rubber mallet can take the place of the special tool to remove the fuelpump assembly retaining bracket.

However, you dont ever need to replace this filter unless your fuel system has been contaminated. Examples: Filling with E85, Diesel, Kerosene etc...

·
Registered
188 Posts
The front control arm bushings on my 2001 MDX are starting to crack. My MDX has 86,000 miles. There is no unusual play in the wheels, so I think the bearings and ball joint are OK. (I have just replaced the stabilizer links, and I will replace the stabilizer bushings next weekend.)

Is there any way to replace these bushings without removing the entire control arm?

In order to remove the control arm, I understand that I will need a special tool. Where might I borrow or rent this tool?

How well do the ball joints hold up on MDXs? Can I expect to get another 50k miles on these?
You have to remove the whole arm to remove the bushing.

The cracking is ok, as long as there is no play. You can replace the bushing if you have access to a bearing press. The best thing (easiest) to do is replace the whole arm.

The special tool is a ball-joint popper. You dont need it. Get a mini-sledge or 5-10lb hammer. With the ball joint castle nut loose, start banging right below the rubber boot for the ball joint, on the blunt side of the control arm. 3-5 good hits will pop it loose.

Yes, ball joints on MDXs last awhile. To test if it is ok, lift the wheel off of the ground. Grab ahold of the top and bottom parts of the tire. Alternate pushing the top and bottom of the tire, like you are trying to pull the wheel off. If it "pops" or "ticks", then your ball-joints are bad. If it doesnt move, they are fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking for fuel pump filter form MDX 2003, can you recommend me any online store? also does anyone know what is the part number for it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Acura MDX 2001 just recently changed the fuel pump took the old fuel pump out this matter to find that there is a fuel filter already inside bought a new one from AutoZone for a little over $75 and it to already had the field trip on the inside

1 - 8 of 8 Posts