Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the plastic handle on my 2001 acura RL broke (drivers side, interior) and I tried to replace it using a dorman model 81750, however, that particular handle, despite claiming (everywhere) to be an exact replacement didn't work. the little plastic clip on the rear of the assembly was too big. By a lot (1/16 to 1/8"). As the cable that actually opens the door has to fit in that clip to work, it made the part useless, and I returned it. (the poor guys at the auto store spent almost 30 minutes trying to figure out why it was the wrong size and if they sold just that tiny plastic clip.)

1) How can I get a door handle that actually fits? Is there a way to get a true original Acura part without paying out the nose to the dealer? One thing I didn't like about the Dorman was the moving parts were plastic on the back instead of metal, like the original. (I used an auto zone because I could return it in person immediately if it didn't fit. Most websites appear to not accept returns if installed or opened, as the only way to check the fit is to install....)

2) Although I can clearly see a crack in the handle, pulling on the cable does not open the door/move the lock. I'm guessing the cable broke or shifted when the handle snapped. I need a diagram or instructions on how remove replace/this cable, if just getting a new handle doesn't work. (I know how to get the door panel off, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the actual cable in/out...)

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plenty of Acura original equipment sites!
Here's one, #10 choose your color.

Thanks. After the third time I took the door apart to try to fix it myself, I gave up. Looks like something went wrong with the cable as well, and I couldn't find a good video of my actual door/lock set up. It goes in Monday, and they estimate it's only $120 to replace it for me (with $80 of that being the part). Should have just done that initially....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts