Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my speakers and subwoofer in my TL. I wonder what options do I have. The baseline is I don't want to change the decks in the console. The Bose subwoofer is very weak. Can I just remove the subwoofer and pop in another one in the trunk?

thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
obotchaman:
Short answer...no.

You CAN, but the new sub will need more power to perform well. So you can go with a free air sub to mount in that hole, or you can get a standard sub to put in a box and disconnect the stock sub. Either way you'll need a new amp, and the easiest thing to do would be to splice the stock sub amp input wire running into the stock sub amp and run that to your new amp.

As for the speakers, that's a bit harder, and will require you splicing the wires before the stock EQ assuming you want good sound quality, and then running those to the new amp (R+/GND and L+/GND, 3 wires total, 1 split for two).

I would also do a search on this in this section...I've posted many things on this.

Austin519

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone mentioned that if I wire the new sub to the stock sub wires, I may get feed backs.

I am still researching on the web but seems like everyone is replacing the HU with a custom face plate to upgrade. I just want to see one success story on upgrading the speakers and sub without changing the HU before I am going to start this project.

I went to Bose's web site and all they said is they are the best and there is no need to upgrade and they are not giving you any details on their system. That really sucks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
there has been plenty of people that have successfully upgraded there stock speakers and used aftermarket amps just do a couple serches on this forum i am sure there are some people... me personally i am upgrading the headuint as well but if you want to keep the headunit i have been told that you want to get the signal before it reaches the eq... and if i remember correctly this signal would be a low level signal and you could simply solder on rca connectors and run these to your amps... I am not sure now the sub signal would but i am sure austin could steer you in the right directions...

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
obotchaman:
Nah feedback loops are most definitely not caused by wiring a different speaker to stock sub wires.

As shawhite said...there are quite a few people, I'd say about 1/4 of the people here, who have successfully upgraded their systems. I say successfully but I haven't heard any failures...you can't really fail at this. There are plenty of details about this system as I and others have laid out in many posts on the forum...do a search and you'll see what I mean.

All you will do is grab the signal before the stock EQ. Three wires specifically that you or your installer can locate...the R+, L+ and common GND. You'll splice the common GND so that you have an R+/GND and L+/GND and that's your stereo signal.

Austin519

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I am trying to upgrade my speakers and subwoofer in my TL. I wonder what options do I have. The baseline is I don't want to change the decks in the console. The Bose subwoofer is very weak. Can I just remove the subwoofer and pop in another one in the trunk?

thanks for any suggestions.
This video shows you have to install subs in a stock stereo it will work for your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts