Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here, looking at buying my first Acura. It's a 2003 Acura TL w/ 120k miles on it currently at a Mercedes dealership (was a trade in). They're selling it for $9k. Carfax reports it is a single owner car, looks great, no reported issues on the carfax report. Haven't yet driven it but I've noticed online that this year has had problems with the transmission.

My main question has to do with the reliability of a car that old. I've driven older Mercedes that have lasted over 300k miles... Should I expect similar results from this car or will I end up having more problems than is worthwhile?

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
If it has an automatic with that many miles and the tranny hasn't been upgraded or swapped out, then don't.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay great! If the tranny has been replaced or worked on is it a worthwhile to buy?
Hey,

Keep in mind that for that model year, yes they did have problems with the tranny, however Honda/Acura extended the warranty on the tranny to something like 150K miles or 9 years or something, so it would still be covered.

Just confirm if it has been replaced. I have just got mine not long ago and I only have 60K (not miles) on my 03 TL and it hasn't had the tranny replaced but I was informed from Acura it's still covered if it goes.

Thanks,

·
The boy and Barclay
1,546 Posts
Ditto on the "check tranny history"
My 02 has about 135 K miles. Runs like a dream, does not use any oil at all but I do have some concerns about future longevity of my transmission. It had been replaced once under warranty at 60 K miles by original owner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts