Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Danger Mouse
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I snapped the T/B on my 2003 EL and after scoping the Cylinders 3 of the 4 pistons have valve indentations on them. I'm going to replace the head with something used and have it planed. I've already replaced the T/B, water pump, tensioner, alternator & Power steering belts. My question is what other blocks I can source for a replacement head from?

· Registered
168 Posts
Replace the pistons and rods too. Honda engines are zero clearence engines. If you see valve indentation,
on the pistons, it’s a strong possibility you bent the rods. U probably be better off with a used replacement engine. Replace the belt and associated parts before installing the used engine.
You go over 100,000 miles without replacing the belt?

· Acuraworld Junior Member
6 Posts
I snapped the T/B on my 2003 EL and after scoping the Cylinders 3 of the 4 pistons have valve indentations on them. I'm going to replace the head with something used and have it planed. I've already replaced the T/B, water pump, tensioner, alternator & Power steering belts. My question is what other blocks I can source for a replacement head from?
Are you sure those indentations are damage, or are they the normal two indentations (to allow for valve clearance) cast into the pistons? I suspect the former, since one piston seems not to have them, so swapping engines might make sense. I recently went through this with a 2002 TL-S, my timing belt broke, but there was no damage to pistons. I rebuilt the heads, engine runs great. If you do replace your timing belt etc., be sure to use OEM (AISN) water pump. Last time I changed the TB, I had used a Gates TB kit that included a water pump of unknown mfg. Turns out the Gates water pumps are notorious for seizing up, which is what happened to my engine. I did find used engines for around $1200-$1800, which might be worth considering. Good Luck!!

· Registered
212 Posts
there is nothing to stop the pistons and cylinders from colliding. This throws the rods off, and they start to poke holes in the engine block. Eventually, the engine will essentially break in half, and there's no way to repair it. This is complete engine failure, and will require a new engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts