Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just bought a used 2003 TL, and of course saw that one of the low beams is flickering. I would like to replace it this weekend, but noted the "WARNING HIGH VOLTAGE" on the cap. I will be removing the front bumper to replace one of the fog light assemblies, and it looks like removing the headlight assembly is fairly straightforward.
Is there anything special I need to know? Once the headlight assembly is totally disconnected, do I need to worry about a shock? Do I need to disconnect the battery?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Lance

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Don't turn the headlights on and touch anything in there :)

If you want to fully discharge the headlight system, disconnect the battery with the headlights on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim!
But if I disconnect the battery with the headlights on.....then unplug all the electrical hook-ups, I am OK to replace the low beam bulbs? I am fine with all the mechanicals, but the voltage thing has me spooked!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Definitely. You wouldn't have problems if you didn't do that, but that will discharge all of the HV.

High voltage discharge is one thing I know a lot about, my main hobby is restoring vintage televisions :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Tim,
Just an update.....everything went great. As long as I was replacing the foglight assemblies and had the bumper off, the headlights were a breeze. I found a pair of HID's on the net for $45....a no brainer.

You help was very appreciated!

(If I come across any old tube TV's, I'll give you a poke!)

Lance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts