Acura World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the job about a month ago including the water pump, tensioner & pulley, and idler pulley. At the time of install the marks on both cams were right on point along with the crank. Put about 700 miles on it with no issues and started hearing a loud noise from what appeared to be the rear timing belt cover. I just pulled everything apart again after seeing that about 20% of the engine side of the timing belt was worn on top.

After getting everything off again I see the firewall cam sprocket is 1 to 2 teeth off of its mark while the front cam sprocket is right on mark.

Could a skip of 2 teeth have done valve damage?

She runs well and smooth and other than the noise I suspect is from something screwed up with one of the parts that came in my discount ebay timing belt kit that I was stupid enough to settle for and the reason I'm in this mess.

I appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The tensioner pulley rattles like a maraca and the water pump squeaks as I spin it by hand. DO NOT EVER BUY a kit for less than 100$ off of ebay. Yes... I should have known... I thought I was getting the deal of the century... You definitely get what you pay for in this case.

Has anyone had better experiences with the local auto parts store brand, or is the dealership the only way to go on this?

Dayco, Import Direct, Carquest?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Remember that whatever you install is going to be on the car for the next 100,000 miles. That's billions of engine rotations. Spend the money and go OEM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.