Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2004 RL failed the California smog test because the check engine light does not turn on when the ignition switch is turned on to position # 2 nor when the car starts.
I took the instrument cluster out and had the circuit board checked and the check engine light tested good, the light comes on, the little led light is not out, I also put the instrument cluster in the test mode or reset mode and the light does come on which proves the light is not burnt out.

I bought a replacement instrument cluster, but same issue the check engine light does not come on when ignition switch is turned on # 2 position nor when the car starts.

Car starts and runs fine, no OBDII codes detected.

Please help me figure out why the light does not come on when turning the ignition switch on and starting the car. I cannot register the car!

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need to start backing into it. Check the wire that goes into the cluster that turns the lite on. Keep moving into it until you loose the voltage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to start backing into it. Check the wire that goes into the cluster that turns the lite on. Keep moving into it until you loose the voltage.
Thanks, but that is easier said than done, any suggestions as to where I can locate the schematics that shows which is the correct wire?
Then tracing that wire into the hidden world underneath the dash where thousands of wires are tightly wrapped in black tape/plastic may be a daunting task.
So let's assume that the wire is not the culprit, then what?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts