Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm new to these forums and thanks in advance for your help!

I own a 2005 MDX and it's great. Last year summer, I picked up a set of 18" rims & tires for a summer setup. The MDX looked great, but the wheels vibrated like crazy over 60 mph! It was really, really bad like the balancing was totally wrong. I had the wheels road-force balanced and also had alignment done at the dealer - but nothing took the vibration away. After several visits to the dealer and other wheel / tire shops, i gave up and ended up returning the wheels to Discount Tire. They were really good about it and helped me out.

My dealership said that the MDX does not like after-market wheels. They said many have tried to install larger (non-OEM) wheels, but it always causes problems. With my OEM wheels, the MDX runs great - but I would really like to have a separate more performance set for summer, and then install winter tires on the OEM rims.

For those of you that have upgraded your wheels with either 18" or 19", do you have any problems? Can anyone suggest a rim brand that is guarantied not to vibrate on the MDX? I'll attach a pic of what my car used to look like with the Wheels that I returned. I would love to stay with a RIM that looks similar. The rims I purchased were DRAG wheels. Any feedback on those?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am surprised that so many people on this forum have upgraded rims, but I couldn't get them to fit on my car properly...

thanks!
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Acura

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Acura

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi 2005MDX.
welcome ...

I have a 2004 MDX and I just purchase after market rims which i will be installing for the first time this saturday. they will be 20" rim's.
Do you live in toronto or Brampton, I live in Brampton and the place i bought them said not a problem and they will check. It could be the rim's or brand of tire.
Dealer will never say to you to buy after market, they are not allowed to say that just OEM are the best.

Let me know and I can give you the name of the place I got mine and they have a large selection.
Thanks.
Tobo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tobo. Please do let me know how your rims turn out. I'm really curious! I actually live in Cambridge, but that's just 45 min's away from Brampton. Please do let me know when you get them installed... I'm definitely interested.
thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,
Just got back.
I got the Rims abd tire installed and they look great, have not had a chance to take picture of the tires on the MDX but I will.
The ride is good, No vibration but being a wide tire in the front any dips in the road it likes to steer to it but smooth roads fantastic. I have put 275/40R20 Kumho tires.

The only concern is that my TPMS light comes on, it's for the tire presure asd per the manual. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to cure it.

Soon i will show photos of my rim and tire.

Thanks.
Tobo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for updating us Tobo. Really interested in seeing the pictures of your new rims & tires! Happy to hear that you have not experienced any vibrations. Do you know if your new rims are hub-centric?

Also, concerning the TMPS error, did you install new TMPS sensors in the new rims? They are installed with the valve and if you don't install it, the MDX is going to show an error because it does not detect it. You can not turn off the TPMS error until you change the software. There is a specific frequency for the TPMS sensors for our MDX, but I forget it right now... I can find out for you if you need it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
"My dealership said that the MDX does not like after-market wheels."

After four decades of driving and having owned 54 cars, including 19 Corvettes, an XKE and a Porsche Turbo, this is the first time I've ever heard that a particular vehicle "doesn't like aftermarket wheels." Sounds like all you needed was either hub-centering rings, or, the thin metal tabs removed from the brake hubs that are installed during vehicle assembly designed to hold the hub assembly in place - these are small thin metal "tabs", one per hub, located between the wheels studs. I had the same problem on a 2001 PT Cruiser when I installed wider aftermarket wheels. No one could figure what was causing the vibration until one tech noted that the tabs had to be removed because of the way the hubs of aftermarket wheels were designed to fit absolutely flush with the wheel hub. He removed the tabs and no more vibration. Just my $.02.

·
Premium Member
7,436 Posts
Tim at Acura of Peoria just posted up this special:

If you've wanted 19" rims for your 01-06 MDX, take a look!

Acura RDX accessory wheels, part numbers, 08W19-STK-201 CHROME LOOK AND 08W19-STK-201A SPARKLE SILVER/SATIN SILVER.

Normal retail is $2244.00 for the set of 4, and we can sell either part number for the set of 4 for $550 shipped for ALL FOUR

The rims will fit the following vehicles:

1998+ Honda accord v6
2003+ Honda accord
1998-2010 honda crv
2003-2010 honda element
1995-2004 honda odyssey
1997-2001 honda prelude
2001-2003 acura cl
2001-2006-acura mdx
2007-2010 acura rdx
1996-2004-acura rl
2002-2006-acura rsx
1996-2008-acura 3.2tl , tl sport, tl type s
2004-2008-acura tsx

A link to the website with the product:

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/partlo...fo&PartID=868316&siteid=214055&catalogid=3550

And, here's a pic of the wheels :)

A couple nice things.....

* We now ship USPS to Canada :)
* We now accept PayPal!

Our accessories catalog is now updated through 2009.....still working on the rest ;)

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/partlo...AccessoryCatalog&siteid=214055&catalogid=5501

·
Registered
32 Posts
My Photos of 20" rims on 04 MDX

hello 2005MDX,

here are my photos of my MDX with my new summer rim's.
the are 20" rims with 275/40/20 Kumho tires.

How can i turn the TPMS light off, their is a frequency that can change it.
Would you be able to tell me how to do it.
Thanks.
Sandro

Attachments

·
Banned
49,206 Posts
hello 2005MDX,

here are my photos of my MDX with my new summer rim's.
the are 20" rims with 275/40/20 Kumho tires.

How can i turn the TPMS light off, their is a frequency that can change it.
Would you be able to tell me how to do it.
Thanks.
Sandro
One must ask the question: Why?

No, the TPMS system does not turn off.

·
1 Posts
From the looks of your picture I bought the same setup, DRAG DR034, 18X8 5-100/11435SML with Falken Ziex S/TZ-04 P255/55R-18XL 109H B for my 2004 MDX. I have about 4000 miles on the setup and have had no problems. The tires are great in the snow and on both wet and dry pavement.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would say yes but I left my snow tires on my original rims and got 20" for the summer.
I can just buy sensors if i want to resolve the issue but the dealer says if will not cause any problems to the car except for that it will have the TPMS light one and wont tell you that your tire presure is low.

Thanks.
Tobo

·
Banned
49,206 Posts
Well, good luck in getting this resolved. I'm not a real fan of a lot of aftermarket wheels, so take what I said and will say on the topic with a grain of salt.

I would go to a comprehensive tire center with the most modern equipment and tools and find out what they say. This might be a way to get straight answers and save a bit on a set of sensors if you choose to go that direction.

I don't much care for the TPMS system on these for the simple reason that almost every temperature shift we have here where I live (and they can be extreme) gets me in line for a trip to the local tire store to reset tire pressure because the stupid lights start going off on the dash. I would love to find a way to just disable the damn thing and be done with it. Haven't found a way to do that yet.

·
Banned
49,206 Posts
panioman41 those are some sharp rims that you have. Those would look good on a sedan like the TL!!!! :)
Dude,

If I get many more "New Acura Incentives" spam links on this forum, I might just come down to SLC and kick your fucking ass.

:D

Fucking loser.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts