Acura World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in to the dealer and as part of the service the cabin air filter was to be changed. After I got the car back I dropped down the glove box to see if the filter had actually been changed. The plastic strip that needs to be cut out in order to replace the filter was still there.

I asked the dealer service person about and he said that it was changed and that the plastic piece is part of the new filter parts.

I'm having a hard time believing this. Can anyone tell me if that piece that has to be cut out in order to replace the filter somehow get replaced as part of the changing operation?

Thank,

ro32901

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The plastic door that the filter is behind does indeed have to be cut in order to replace it for the first time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re; cabin air filter replacement

Tim,

Thanks very much. It looks to me like it was not replaced as they said. Not sure how or who I will approach about this at the dealership.

So if I understand you correctly that plastic piece wouldn't be there if it had been changed. Is it possible that they would have replaced the plastic piece after changing it?

Thanks,

Roger

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,
If they said the new plastic piece come with the filter than ask them to show you a new filter kit. just to get piece of mind.

I have a question, i have a 2004 MDX. Is it important to change the filter, what happens when you dont change it. reason i am asking is because i just bought mine and i dont know if was changed.

thanks.

·
**** Whore
10,136 Posts
So if I understand you correctly that plastic piece wouldn't be there if it had been changed. Is it possible that they would have replaced the plastic piece after changing it?
There will still be a plastic piece covering where the filters slide in, but there is a little tab(s) that needs to be cut to get the plastic cover off and slide the old filters out. Does the plastic panel (behind the glove box) pop right off or is it still attached where you can't remove it at all?

·
**** Whore
10,136 Posts
I have a question, i have a 2004 MDX. Is it important to change the filter, what happens when you dont change it. reason i am asking is because i just bought mine and i dont know if was changed.
The cabin air filter, like the name implies, filters the air coming into your cabin and through the A/C system. Without a clean filter, contaminants will build up and you can actually get sick from breathing in dirty air. It will also make your A/C or heater not blow as hard if the filter is clogged.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

does this process to remove the filter be the same for a 2004 MDX.
I will change mine.
Thanks.

·
**** Whore
10,136 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming it will be.

It is in the same location in my 99 TL as the 2005 MDX. Should be the same for your 2004.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
The piece in question that needs to be cut is actually a mold structure piece that helps hold the glove box opening true while the dash is being installed in the car. Once the dash is secured in place the plastic structure piece no longer serves a purpose but it is in the way of removing the air cabin filter. Therefore you have to cut away this plastic piece (or at least slice through it on one end and temporarily move it out of the way) in order to remove and re-install the filter.

The piece may still be there if they just cut it on one end, but it will be very obvious if it is NOT cut because there is no way you could possibly get the filter out without cutting it. So if the plastic piece is fully intact, they lied to you and did not change it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
re; Cabin Air filter replacement, solved!

I went to the dealership yesterday and met with the service manager. I explained the situation. He understand my thinking exactly. He went and got the service tech that worked on the car. The tech showed me exactly how he did.

He removed the glove box and the he bent the metal piece outward which allowed him to snap off the filter cover and then pull out the filter, replace it and then push the metal the metal piece back again. Being flexible the plastic piece stayed in place. The techs thinking is the it looks better to leave the plastic piece in place.

RO

·
2000RL
173 Posts
Ro,
Thanks for following-up on this issue with the manager and tech and providing feedback. Lots of rocks get thrown at dealer maitenance departments on forums. Some justified but often it's seems to be just taken for granted that dealers are ripping owners off. I have had bad experiences in the past with other dealers but the experiences I have had with Acura dealers since I have had my RL have been positive experiences. I am willing to pay higher labor and parts cost at the dealer to have techs familiar with my car doing the required maintenace with OEM parts. It's wise to trust but "verify" when any work is done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 MDX and am trying to change the cabin filter and have done everything they say on the forum but cant get the glove box to release anywhere from the brackets. if its not removed you cant get to the filter. how did you remove it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

For Replacement of cabin air filter you can see videos on youtube. This is helpful to you. Through video you can understand easily step by step.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts