Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATED WITH VIDEO! 2005 mdx engine area "ticking" noise

my 2005 MDX Touring with 110,000 miles has a noticeable "ticking" sound when running, coming from under the hood/engine area.

i've had the timing belt, idler/tensioner, bearings and lifters all checked and everything looked fine.

anyone know what could/is causing this issue?

thanks in advance. appreciate the help.....would REALLY like to get this fixed!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
My first thought on this would be a valve adjustment....it's due at the 105K mark. However, it could be something else.....if you can post up a video clip, that would help tremendously :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'll get a video up when i get a chance.

i had the valves checked and was told they were fine and within spec.....

not sure what else to check?????????

someone mentioned something loose in the oil pump...ever heard of that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've had everything checked, top to bottom, and nothing was amiss.......going to accept it's just an annoyance with this particular honda engine i guess???

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATED VIDEO...NEED HELP UPLOADING

I have video of my ticking, but I'm not exactly sure how to upload it to the forum...help please and thanks?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Don't think you can. I'd say upload it to youtube and post a link.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, will do. thanks.

while i try to figure out how to add a video....

...it is more pronounced or louder from the left side of the engine area than the right (as i stand in front of the car looking at it)

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
To me, it sounds like a loose valve tappet....something that a valve adjustment would cure. But to isolate the noise, use the old mechanic's trick.....take a long screwdriver, put one end to your ear and with the other end, place it on different points on the engine, observing standard safety precautions. That will localize the noise and give you an idea of where to begin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
had drive belt removed and everything checked and absolutely no change.

also had done: remove coils or injector connectors one by one to take the power away from the cylinder individually. If one makes the noise changed significant then its a failing wrist pin or damaged rod bearing. If there is no change then use a stethoscope listening to the valve covers to see if its a valve train associated noise.

and no problems or changes.

ANYONE have any help!?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got MDX 05 and it is doing perfectly same noise. I did change timing belt and tensioner, and ajusted valves, and it still making same noise. I used sthetoscope to found where it coming from, so i can hear most of it arround oil pan
what is this?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Well, you had 110K on a 10 year old engine when this thread started almost a year ago. Assuming that it hasn't gotten worse and a valve adjustment didn't take care of the noise, personally I'd just live with it. Whatever it is, it's obviously not hurting anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts