Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad this forum is available because I need help diagnosing an issue that cannot yet be reproduced.

Problem Description:
Yesterday morning when I attempted to start the car, it did not start the first time I turned the key. The second time it did start just fine and normal. I thought nothing of this and went to work.
Going to lunch, the same thing happened.
After lunch, the car would not start until about 30 minutes and 50 tries.

When the car did not start, all of the electronic systems started fine when the key went to position II (radio, lights, ac, etc.). The engine or ignition made no noise on the failed attempts.

After the 50th try got the car started, I took it to my local Honda dealer who was unable to cause the issue to repeat during the few hours they had the car. They told me it is probably the starter and that is would cost $560-$630 in parts and labor to replace. The technician told me he would like to be able to reproduce the problem before committing to replacing the starter. They asked me to leave the car with them overnight so the starter could cool down which they say is normally when the problems will occur. I couldn't do that, so I took the car home. The car easily started on both attempts this morning, so cooling off doesn't seem to have helped recreate the problem.

I have two questions:
1. What are the possibilities here? Is this a starter problem or could this be the signal from the key turn to the starter not making it? Anything else?
2. Is the $560-$630 price for the starter replacement within expected ranges for a dealership? The Acura dealership a few towns over told me $475 would do it. Is that reasonable? Both prices seemed high to me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! Have you figured out what was the problem?
I had the exact same issue this morning with my 2006 Acura TL. We tried to jump the battery but it did not help to solve the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First post - great forum. My TL has had the same problem for a while now, just diagnosed it yesterday as mechanical, not battery. Thought it might be the battery because every time in the past we've jumped it and it has started fine. This time it still wouldn't start. Got a new battery just in case...same problem - definitely not the battery now. Engaged the starter several times - relay clicking EVERY time, finally started. Completely normal start - fast spinover, no delay, no lag, same noisy starter motor. Called the Acura guys, said it sounded more like a starter, 310 bucks with core - Advance Auto Parts, 120. But it's now starting normally again. I really don't think it's the starter, one guy said it might be a ground - which makes sense because every great once in a while the battery will be completely dead for no reason. Is the solenoid an integral part of the starter on these? If so I say the starter does need to be replaced with everything else operating normally. Thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts