Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently took my car to Hughes Honda of Warner Robins, GA who I finally let complete a transmission flush. Less than 30 days later, the news is that my transmission needs to be replaced. Can someone please help me justify why the dealership should assume responsibility, if necessary?

Facts:

They claim they did the "owner's manual" recommended drain and fill 3 times.

The Acura dealership which is about 30 minutes away from me said that they would have never offered the service.

When Honda performed a transmission fluid check, they discovered the transmission fluid was "contaminated/burnt."

Is there any other manuals that say not to perform a transmission flush in this situation and possibly not knowing the service history? I've only owned this car for about a year and a half.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Well, first, the 3x drain and fill is not a recommended maintenance procedure. It was a bulletin that came out in the late 90s that addressed clogged valve body issues that the Legends used to have, causing erratic shifts. Honestly, I don't know why everyone decided that this is Acura's recommended maintenance procedure......it's not. It certainly won't hurt anything, but it's not a maintenance thing.

Did the dealer bother to replace the transmission canister filter on this service? Don't let them tell you it doesn't have one.....

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I don't ever recommend ANYTHING but Acura ATF-DW1 for any transmission service. Anything else is a gamble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts