Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys. I was having no crank problems on my 06 TL automatic. I eliminated the battery and starter as being the source by replacing them. But was still having intermittent no crank. I then focused on replacing the ignition switch.
Before ordering a new switch, I reviewed the procedure to removing the switch. Disconnect the battery, remove the two plastic covers over steering column, disconnect 6 pin connector from ignition switch and remove the two screws holding the ignition switch in place. Slide ignition switch out.
I went through the process of removing the switch before the new one arrived just to inspect it. Placed it back and was using the car as usual until I received the new one.
The new one came. Went through the process of replacing the original. Tried to insert the key but the key won't go all the way in. Steering wheel is also locked. Tried moving the steering wheel while jiggling the key. Still the key would not go all the way in.
I decided to put back the original and still the key will not go all the way in.
Then I just noticed that the keyless transmitter won't open, close the car doors or even pop the trunk.
Now I'm asking myself if I forgot to disconnect the battery when I was installing the new ignition switch and the car locked itself down.
Being searching all over for answers. One one thing I haven't tried is to insert the key in the car door lock and see if that will reset it.
Is there a fuse or other steps I can take to get this resolved?
TIA

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Well, have to start with the last thing that was done, first. If the key won't go all the way in, that has to be fixed first.

Was it an OEM part you purchased? If not, you need to compare the new part to the old one to see if there is anything different about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, have to start with the last thing that was done, first. If the key won't go all the way in, that has to be fixed first.

Was it an OEM part you purchased? If not, you need to compare the new part to the old one to see if there is anything different about it.
The part is the same. I even took the new one out and put back the original and still the key won't go all the way in. I'm thinking that because I may not have disconnected the battery when I was swapping out the part could be the issue. As I mentioned, the keyless transmitter all of a sudden doesn't close or pop the trunk. Something may have been deactivated. Maybe the fuse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How far does the key go in?
It goes most of the way in. It's just that point where it needs to be depressed and be able to turn. Again, simultaneously the keyless transmitter ceases to function as well.
Doing a search I see many people have had issues where the steering wheel was locked. All they had to do was turn the wheel in the direction that had some play and turn their key to release it. From what I gather this is a "built-in" function of many modern cars. But in my case, the key doesn't go all the way in.
I was speaking with someone that had the "wheel lock issue" and he suspects that because I forgot to disconnect the battery when swapping out the ignition switch, the car may have locked up. Hence the non functioning keyless transmitter as well.
Doing a search, I've read where a recommendation was to use the physical key in the driver door and see if that reactivates everything. Also I read where others have reference the fuse associated with the ignition system. But I'm not sure of it's exact location an which one.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
News to me. Can't hurt to try though. Give it a shot and let me know what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
News to me. Can't hurt to try though. Give it a shot and let me know what happens.
no luck with the key in the driver's door. Just started to bring the windows down. Had to stop. There has to be a reason why the key doesn't go all the way into the ignition and the keyless transmitter doesn't work. The anti-theft led is blinking away.
I'm still thinking that while replacing the ignition switch, something was triggered (electrically) that disabled the keyless transmitter and prevents the key from going all the way in.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
At this point, I'd probably just bring it in to the dealer. You'll pay a little more, but that's more than made up for in a lower time to diagnose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts