Acura World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 2006 TL AT failed to start. The symptoms are when you turn the key to the start position, you get nothing. The starter does not turn over at all. The gauges do not dim when attempting to start the car. The battery is only about 4 months old and appears to be in good condition. To be sure, I left the battery on the charger overnight and no change this morning. Looking on the web, the consensus was the starter with the possibility of the ignition switch. I plan to do some additional trouble shooting this afternoon to determine if voltage is being applied to the starter solenoid when the key is switch to the start position.

Anyone run into something similar and has suggestions or a known solution?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought I would report on what I found necessary to repair the car. I checked the relay for the starter, no problem there. I removed the battery tray to provide access to the starter motor and solenoid. Before removing the starter from the car, I verified voltage was getting to the starter input and to the trigger input when the ignition key turned to start position. Voltage at the stater input was normal batter voltage, about 12.3V. When the key was turned to start, the voltage at the solenoid trigger input was about 9V, quite a drop from the battery voltage. I pulled the starter and strapped it to a bench to test it. The starter appeared to work, as it would extend and turn the gear. However, I got a lot of sparks when applying the trigger voltage, so the solenoid was pulling a lot of current. I called a local O'Reillys auto parts store and they would perform a test of the starter. The test at O'Reillys auto parts showed the starter to be bad. I purchased a remanufactured starter, installed it and the car started normally.

The hardest part of the whole repair was getting the battery tray out and back into the car. The two lower bolts for the battery tray are a PITA to get to, especially the rear one. Before reassembling the car, I took the battery tray and turned the holes for the lower bolts into slots open at the bottom. I could first install the lower bolts loosely into the frame rail and then slide the battery tray onto the bolts. This made the re-installation much easier and would recommend this mod to anyone replacing the starter.

Alan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.