Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, Hope you guys can help me out with an issue that im having with the GF's 2007 TL. This all began a few weeks ago when the car wouldnt start. At first i figured the battery was dead since i was able to start it by jumping it and entering the radio code. I went and had the battery tested and replaced and the issue went away.

Now this moring, the car wont start again with the new battery however the car has full power and radio worked (i.e. battery not dead). When i turned the key, the only sound that i heard was a single click which was coming from the solenoid. I tried to jump the car but it did not work. Since the car had full power, it made me think that it was the starter/solenoid that broke even though it did not make the normal "bad" starter noise. Just to be sure, i then disconnected the battery to make sure it wasnt anything to do with the anti thief system. I reconnected the battery, went into the car and entered the radio code and it started right up which confuses the hell out of me.

Why would disconnecting & reconnecting the battery cause the solenoid/starter to work when the car had full power and the radio wasnt locked to begin with. Its almost as if by disconnecting the battery i reset system which was locking the solenoid and preventing the car from starting. I was originally just going to replace the starter but this is making me question if the issue is with the computer and how the anti thief feature works. So before i drop $150 and 4 hours of my life replacing the starter, i figured that i see if anyone has heard of this issue before? Thanks for your help and let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing on my 05 and it turned out to be the contacts inside the starter. you can replace it or do what I did and take it apart and clean up/even up the contacts and put back together for another few good years of service no doubt :)

good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the same thing on my 05 and it turned out to be the contacts inside the starter. you can replace it or do what I did and take it apart and clean up/even up the contacts and put back together for another few good years of service no doubt :)

good luck
Thats a good idea but how would disconnecting the battery cause the car to start if the contacts are dirty and not even?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Going through this right now with my TL-S 2007. It has had starter issues for about a year. I take off the battery terminal put it back on and it starts. Mine appears completely dead though, no lights can't even take it out of park without putting the key in the slot.

I think my solenoid is getting stuck.

I took the two Philips screws off the solenoid and the round cylinder that slides back and forth was gunked up, is that what you cleaned?

·
James The Underdog
8 Posts
Try to have someone start the car while you are tapping on the starter if it works then its probably a bad solenoid or starter. I think its cheaper to just buy a whole new starter.

·
5 Posts
My '05 just started doing this. Normally, when the key is turned to the first position, my power brakes would activate and give a little while all the lights on the instrument panel light up as if getting ready to start. This time, brakes stay firm (no soft whirring sound to indicate the ABS startup test), navigation screen flickers a white line when I turn the ignition and silence. New battery. Any ideas? My thanks in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts