Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine will shut down but cannot turn key fully to OFF position to remove key.
Also noticed display briefly shows it is in both Park AND Drive. After a few seconds, it will then show to just in Park but I still can’t turn ignition fully to remove key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had this exact same thing happen with my 2007 Cadillac CTS a couple of years ago. I was sometimes able to get the key out and sometimes not. Then it did some other intermittent weird dashboard things lighting up afterward, plus steering would be stiff for a few moments and then it would be okay, transmission would seem sluggish for a few moments and then it would be okay. It turned out to be the ECM was going out. We replaced it and it was fine after that. Because it was intermittent, it was difficult to get diagnosed unless actually having the issue at the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had this exact same thing happen with my 2007 Cadillac CTS a couple of years ago. I was sometimes able to get the key out and sometimes not. Then it did some other intermittent weird dashboard things lighting up afterward, plus steering would be stiff for a few moments and then it would be okay, transmission would seem sluggish for a few moments and then it would be okay. It turned out to be the ECM was going out. We replaced it and it was fine after that. Because it was intermittent, it was difficult to get diagnosed unless actually having the issue at the time.
Thank you. ! Im afraid to ask - what is an ECM ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Besides the possibility that the ECM (Electronic Control Module) or car's computer thinks the transmission is still in Drive (the ignition won't release the key if it senses the transmission is in Drive for safety reasons) it could also be the sensor sending the signal to the ECM or the linkage itself has some slop in it contributing to the sensing that it is still in Drive. I'm not sure if there is a distinct Transmission Control Module in the car or if it's incorporated in the ECM/PCM.

Unless you are mechanically inclined/home mechanic, most independent repair shops will provide you a fairly inexpensive estimate of the root cause and, if you let them do the repair, apply the diagnostic charge to the cost of the repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The engine will shut down but cannot turn key fully to OFF position to remove key.
Also noticed display briefly shows it is in both Park AND Drive. After a few seconds, it will then show to just in Park but I still can’t turn ignition fully to remove key.
I’d look at the shifter box. If the knob isn’t all the way left when it’s in park the key won’t come out. One time I spilled coke on mine and it got sticky and the key wouldn’t come out cos the knob was sticking to the right a little when I put it in park. Something worth checking.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’d look at the shifter box. If the knob isn’t all the way left when it’s in park the key won’t come out. One time I spilled coke on mine and it got sticky and the key wouldn’t come out cos the knob was sticking to the right a little when I put it in park. Something worth checking.
I think Wheels420 is got the right idea. Something is wrong with the shifter Mech. Goo in the mechanism, bent shifter mechanism components or worn out bushings are all suspect. Has the car been in an accident?

2007 is not that old, but an accident, or a mechanic that fiddled with something in the console seems suspect.

Astrobuf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts