Acura World banner

2008 TL S Type Rear brakes shot at 28K

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TrustinHFDJ 
I dont know what to tell you other than the fact, someone that is driving the vehicle hard or doesn't know how to brake properly. The vehicle is heavy for obvious reasons, so that puts a lot of pressure on the breaking system; I highly suggest going brembo for the rear as well, plus OEM rotors slotted, depending how you drive. If your doing a lot of long distance driving and freeway, traffic conditions, any thing that causes excessive braking

We do have vented brakes, but they still do not help much really as compared to slotted grooved rotors.

I bought mine at 27 and they had already replaced the rotors, by the legality of cali law, so yours isn't too far fetched; plus the fact it was like 38 YO woman driving it prior[Grandma]. You are in a luxury car that comes with luxury costs.

Yes, which is why I am suggesting highly to change the caliper by going brembo, and also getting a bigger OEM quality rotor's, slotted primarily. I mean frankly without the front brembo the car would not stop at high speed situations really and when ABS is activated. I have felt the performance, and it is pretty much slightly stronger than needed, which is not good for someone driving slightly too fast.

Those are some of my plans for the future of my vehicle to have a comfortable and long lasting break system for the rear only; the front is perfectly fine in my opinion. Simple logic eh, bigger pads more contact; larger and more "mass'ive" surface tend to cool faster cause the heat is being distributed thoroughly and less concentrated in certain areas.

Your best way to check and see if it is fairly true, is that your rotors should never be shiny; rotors must have a dull luster to them as if they are murky. When they are over heated due to breaking too hard or rough driving conditions, they tend to gain luster and become very shiny. That is not good generally speaking, and means that you should follow through with the following advice I gave you. Bigger calipers hold larger brake pads, and large rotors have the ability to vent heat so that the metal doesn't become malleable and change luster. Which is the primary function of brembo Carbon ceramic BP's, which is why the back tends to fail so rapidly.

I drive slow and have driven almost 10k on the new rotors which still maintained being extremely dull, however I only drive at night 95% of the time and it is not my daily driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.