Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Acura MDX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone knows for sure if this year has a timing chain or a timing belt?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 11 MDX and the 2nd Gen MDX (07-13) all have a timing belt. I think all V-6 Honda/Acura engine have belts and only the 4 cylinder Acura engines have timing chains. The service interval is 7 yr or 105,000 miles for the timing belt; whichever comes first. My 105,000 miles service costed me around $1600 at the dealership for:
  • timing belt + tensioner
  • water pump
  • serpentine belt+tensioner
  • oil change
  • spark plugs
  • valve adjustment+gasket
  • coolant change

Reactions: Natalia Rose

·
Registered
2010 Acura MDX
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 11 MDX and the 2nd Gen MDX (07-13) all have a timing belt. I think all V-6 Honda/Acura engine have belts and only the 4 cylinder Acura engines have timing chains. The service interval is 7 yr of 105,000 miles for the timing belt; whichever comes first. My 105,000 miles service costed me around $1600 at the dealership for:
  • timing belt + tensioner
  • water pump
  • serpentine belt+tensioner
  • oil change
  • spark plugs
  • valve adjustment+gasket
  • coolant change
Thanks for the information....I've got 92k miles on my 2010 MDX so it's coming up soon but that is expensive!! Ouch

·
Registered
26 Posts
You're getting +10 years on same timing belt. A broken timing belt could really damage the engine valves and cyliner heads. Might have to think about fixing sooner compared to waiting until you reach +105,000 miles. Sometimes, Honda dealership or local shops can do it cheaper. Even comes out cheaper if you purchase the parts yourself to take to a local shop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The going rate here in mn for a competent independent shop doing timing belt, serpentine belt, water pump and timing belt tensioner runs from $650 -$1000 using Honda parts.

Do not put it off past 105k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts