Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2010 TSX from a friend of my mom's. They did warn me that there were some issues, but that the vehicle was in otherwise good condition. Come to find out the TSX is in "Limp Mode". Which is where the car basically protects it's transmission from getting damaged. (Will not go faster than 35 miles)

So, I took it to a Shop, after wasting money on what i thought would be an easy fix. I posted a picture of the receipt, so you guys can see what all was done to it.... Once I picked up the vehicle, she drove fine for about 2 weeks, and then, from there I was changing spark plugs every2 weeks almost, and adding motor oil, because I was burning through motor oil as well.
Now most of the parts that were replaced and "fixed" are still covered under warranty. But I would like to know, what is causing my TSX to still go into limp mode? and If anyone else has had this issue.

Thanks

Attachments

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that I have gotten my TSX out of limp Mode, and I don't have to buy spark plugs, like every other week. Now I have this CHeck Charging System light that's on. I have checked every Fuse possible, although Im sure i missed a couple. Does anyone know if there is a Alternator Fuse, or I anyone can give me another avenue to explore. Also the Battery and the Alternator are brand new, and yet the (CCS). Check Charging System comes on, and disappears, but eventually it come back on........I will gladly take take any asst possible. I thank you in advance

· Registered
144 Posts
I've had a 06 TSX with +175,000 miles before it was totaled in an accident. I also have an 08 RDX with +195,000 miles that is still on the road (handed down to my daughter +3 years ago). Both have similar 2.4L and 2.3T engine designs as your 2010 TSX. Both vehicles didn't use any oil between the 5000 miles oil change intervals (use Mobil 1 full syn oil). The 2.4L is probably the best built and used a lot for Acura and Honda vehicles. There could be issues with this engine; but, most likely the previous owner might have:
  • skipped/delayed schedule maintenance
  • used non-approved Honda/Acura fluids or filters
  • used poor quality fuel

The Limp Mode can be caused by several engine or emission issues. There should be a code associated with Limp Mode that should pop up or you can navigate on the center mounted screen. Sometimes, these codes show the effect and not the cause and you have to dig a little further to narrow down the issue. The 10-13 MDX with 3.7L V-6 has the issue of clogged oil rings around 1 or more cylinders allowing oil into the combustion chamber (oil burn as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles). The burning of oil could be affecting the emissions sensors and could cause Limp Mode.

The 04-06 TSX had check charging system issues also. They were caused by:
  • weak battery
  • slowly dying alternator that wasn't putting out enough power to run the TSX and re-charge the battery
  • starter issues
  • poor ground cables cause by corrosion or loose
  • battery drain issue when the TSX was off like the bluetooth or some other module drawing too much power when off

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a 06 TSX with +175,000 miles before it was totaled in an accident. I also have an 08 RDX with +195,000 miles that is still on the road (handed down to my daughter +3 years ago). Both have similar 2.4L and 2.3T engine designs as your 2010 TSX. Both vehicles didn't use any oil between the 5000 miles oil change intervals (use Mobil 1 full syn oil). The 2.4L is probably the best built and used a lot for Acura and Honda vehicles. There could be issues with this engine; but, most likely the previous owner might have:
  • skipped/delayed schedule maintenance
  • used non-approved Honda/Acura fluids or filters
  • used poor quality fuel

The Limp Mode can be caused by several engine or emission issues. There should be a code associated with Limp Mode that should pop up or you can navigate on the center mounted screen. Sometimes, these codes show the effect and not the cause and you have to dig a little further to narrow down the issue. The 10-13 MDX with 3.7L V-6 has the issue of clogged oil rings around 1 or more cylinders allowing oil into the combustion chamber (oil burn as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles). The burning of oil could be affecting the emissions sensors and could cause Limp Mode.

The 04-06 TSX had check charging system issues also. They were caused by:
  • weak battery
  • slowly dying alternator that wasn't putting out enough power to run the TSX and re-charge the battery
  • starter issues
  • poor ground cables cause by corrosion or loose
  • battery drain issue when the TSX was off like the bluetooth or some other module drawing too much power when off
MrGold35......Thank you for that information. I have applied all those to my 2.4L TSX with 229,635 Miles. I have removed the bluetooth module, and took out he fuse for the DTRL (day time running lights). Im hoping that there is a fuse for the alternator, but for some reason i can't seem to locate it, and when calling the dealership to ask them, they act like it top secret.

· Registered
144 Posts
That is a lot miles and you are right in the heart of wear/tear items failing normally with time. You might be playing "whack-a-mole" with issues with that many miles with mechanical and electronic issues. Only keeping a Honda/Acura until the 150,000 to 200,000 mile mark as a daily driver has worked out for me before repair cost would get too high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts