Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2013 Acura RDX (tech pkg). I was shown two options for a remote starter, which I opted to think about (and pay cash for). I don't believe either are Acura-branded. One comes with a mobile app that has a 35.00/year subscription.

What products are best for this application on the RDX. Viper has the new SmartStart product, which is appealing. But you might need to carry another FOB (or just deal with the mobile app).

I live up in New England, so a remote start is a must :) And something that doesn't somehow void any warranty.

Any tips, advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Anything that's non-Acura will technically void the warranty as it pertains to that portion of the vehicle's electrical system. Remote starts are convenient for sure, but corrosion in the snap splices used to install them can wreak havoc down the road with resistance in wiring.

The Acura system has the benefit of direct integration with the vehicle's wiring, as well as the ability to control cabin temp right from the remote. The only drawback is cost. And, I'm afraid there's no way of getting around carrying two fobs no matter what system you decide to go with.

If you were to have it installed prior to vehicle delivery, the dealership is from that point liable for any issues with the system for the full warranty term (see details of the Magnuson-Moss Act on Google). However, doing so after vehicle purchase is at your own risk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, thanks for the info.

The dealer I work with, Peabody Acura of Peabody, MA, sells two different models. One, presumably the stock Acura model; the other, a higher-end one that has a mobile app.

I will ask about what you mentioned.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts