Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my new 2016 RDX Tech package this weekend, and couldn't be happier so far. I'm researching remote start offerings as I live in the cold upper mid west, and I've found the installation instructions for the acura remote starts for 2016 are plug and play with no wires to cut and splice. However....they also only have a range of 300-400 ft which has been pretty typical of my experiences with OEM remote starters. On the other hand, the Viper remote start that my family has on a Rav4 reaches over half a mile, and works through many building walls.

So my question is....does anyone know if any of the aftermarket companies are offering a remote start that works with the same plug and play architecture that the Acura one does?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not yet, I was unable to find a plug and play starter other than the factory option, which kinda sucks. I'm holding out hope that before next winter an option becomes available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 Elite comes with an OEM remote starter. It has the same range as the door lock and will work up to 200 yards. Shorter distance when I use it between walls (e.g. in the gym to start the car in the parking lot). The OEM key fob sends/receives bi-directional signal to notify you that the engine has started. The engine will run for 10 minutes each time.

For an after market product wouldn't you have to carry an extra fob?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the range on some of the aftermarket ones is nearly a mile. While I don't need a mile, it's really handy to be able to start it from in the office. My wife's parents have a viper car starter on their 2012 Toyota Rav4, and one day her father in law started their car from OVER a mile away as we were driving them back to pick it up. I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it myself. After he pushed the button he handed me the keys for the rest of the drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.