Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 2019 RDX Advanced SH AWD that I purchased new. From the Acura owners site I downloaded the new map update since my map was a 2018.02.16 version. The file was like 15 GB. I plugged it in to the USB port in the center console. The map screen said "map update in progress". How long does this take? It's been plugged in for like 6 days with some pretty long trips taken. Also, 46,000 miles and the Apple Play doesn't work. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I have a 2019 RDX Advanced SH AWD that I purchased new. From the Acura owners site I downloaded the new map update since my map was a 2018.02.16 version. The file was like 15 GB. I plugged it in to the USB port in the center console. The map screen said "map update in progress". How long does this take? It's been plugged in for like 6 days with some pretty long trips taken. Also, 46,000 miles and the Apple Play doesn't work. Thanks!
I have the same problem with my 2019 RDX. Took over 6 hours to download to a USB . Did this two times . My car would not upload
Brought it to the dealer , they had my car for two days , downloaded to a new USB . Still not updating .

·
Registered
2020 RDX
16 Posts
I have the same problem. The previous update (last summer) went flawlessly. This time (last week) "update in progress" never completes. And I tried three times. I plan to go to the dealer (with my flash drive) next week. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love everything about my 2021 Acura RDX but this issue is black mark on Acura. I received an email from Acura on March 2nd and I'm glad the map update is "complimentary" because I have yet to get it to update my maps and I'd really be more upset than I am had I had to purchase it. I still have the 2019.07.08 map version that was on the car when I purchased it in November of 2020.

My first contact was to the dealer I bought the car from and was told that they didn't have anything to do with updates and referred me to "Here Support", which apparently is the company that creates and maintains the map software.

As of today, I have contacted the "Here Customer Support" three times now about this issue. The first time I reached someone, they tried to walk me through the process of getting the software after I repeatedly tried to tell the individual that I had already downloaded it and had it on a flash drive and that all I needed to know was why I was getting an "updating" message but that nothing ever updated. They had no other options for me and said I should contact my dealer. I'm a retired software developer so this really ground my gears. The second time I called, the individual I reached stated that they knew they were having installation issues and that she had the steps necessary to make it work; 1) take the flash drive out of the car, 2) disable Bluetooth in the settings on the car, 3) disable Bluetooth on my phone; 3) open all 4 doors on the vehicle and leave them open for 5 minutes; 4) plug the drive into the car and wait. As you can guess, this also was not successful. The 3rd time I called, I got a very nice lady who said that she had talked to at least 50 other people that day that had been told to do the same steps given above. She said she wished she knew who the person was that had told me to go through those steps because they simply don't work. However, she told me that they had discovered that certain brands of flash drives had security software on them that prevented the software from installing; those brands were SanDisk and PNY and if I went out and bought any other brand and installed the update on it, it would work. This logic kind of made sense to me so I purchased two no name brands of drives, installed the software and spent another two hours of my time plugging each of these in with no success; each one giving me the same message about the software "updating" but no other progress messages from that point. I even left the drive in over night with no success. I have to think that you must at least have the vehicle's power button in the accessory mode or else the flash drive isn't getting any power. But once again, these guys have said that the car doesn't need to be turned on for the update to install which just doesn't make any sense.

I have sent an email directly to Acura Customer Support yesterday about my displeasure with this irritating process but it will probably be awhile before I get any response. I'm going to keep pounding on them until I get an answer because I'm retired and have plenty of time to do it

If Acura isn't going to do something to make this process less painful, I suggest they take maps off the feature list and I'll just keep using Android Auto's Google Maps which are probably better than their map software anyway.

·
Registered
2020 RDX
16 Posts
I have the same problem. The previous update (last summer) went flawlessly. This time (last week) "update in progress" never completes. And I tried three times. I plan to go to the dealer (with my flash drive) next week. Very frustrating.
[/QUOTE]
Update. I went to my dealer who updated the maps without incident. They had no explanation for why I had trouble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update. I went to my dealer who updated the maps without incident. They had no explanation for why I had trouble.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. Good to know. Did they tell you if they used your flash drive?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love everything about my 2021 Acura RDX but this issue is black mark on Acura. I received an email from Acura on March 2nd and I'm glad the map update is "complimentary" because I have yet to get it to update my maps and I'd really be more upset than I am had I had to purchase it. I still have the 2019.07.08 map version that was on the car when I purchased it in November of 2020.

My first contact was to the dealer I bought the car from and was told that they didn't have anything to do with updates and referred me to "Here Support", which apparently is the company that creates and maintains the map software.

As of today, I have contacted the "Here Customer Support" three times now about this issue. The first time I reached someone, they tried to walk me through the process of getting the software after I repeatedly tried to tell the individual that I had already downloaded it and had it on a flash drive and that all I needed to know was why I was getting an "updating" message but that nothing ever updated. They had no other options for me and said I should contact my dealer. I'm a retired software developer so this really ground my gears. The second time I called, the individual I reached stated that they knew they were having installation issues and that she had the steps necessary to make it work; 1) take the flash drive out of the car, 2) disable Bluetooth in the settings on the car, 3) disable Bluetooth on my phone; 3) open all 4 doors on the vehicle and leave them open for 5 minutes; 4) plug the drive into the car and wait. As you can guess, this also was not successful. The 3rd time I called, I got a very nice lady who said that she had talked to at least 50 other people that day that had been told to do the same steps given above. She said she wished she knew who the person was that had told me to go through those steps because they simply don't work. However, she told me that they had discovered that certain brands of flash drives had security software on them that prevented the software from installing; those brands were SanDisk and PNY and if I went out and bought any other brand and installed the update on it, it would work. This logic kind of made sense to me so I purchased two no name brands of drives, installed the software and spent another two hours of my time plugging each of these in with no success; each one giving me the same message about the software "updating" but no other progress messages from that point. I even left the drive in over night with no success. I have to think that you must at least have the vehicle's power button in the accessory mode or else the flash drive isn't getting any power. But once again, these guys have said that the car doesn't need to be turned on for the update to install which just doesn't make any sense.

I have sent an email directly to Acura Customer Support yesterday about my displeasure with this irritating process but it will probably be awhile before I get any response. I'm going to keep pounding on them until I get an answer because I'm retired and have plenty of time to do it

If Acura isn't going to do something to make this process less painful, I suggest they take maps off the feature list and I'll just keep using Android Auto's Google Maps which are probably better than their map software anyway.

Update 3/7/2022:
After contacting my dealer's service department, I took the car in and they downloaded the map software onto one of their flash drives. I went back home and compared their drive to mine and could see no difference in the name or size of the file on either. The service guy said he was able to update his car by leaving the car running and that it took about an hour to update. So I did the same thing when I got back home and after about an hour, an information icon had popped up on the display. I shut the vehicle off, turned it back on and checked the map version and it had successfully installed the update. Happy to have the update but it's still a terrible process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Do you know what they did to get it to work? I'm having the same problem!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know what they did to get it to work? I'm having the same problem!
[/QUOTE]
All they did was install the same software update that I had on one of mine, on one of the service guys flash drives. I took his home and plugged it in my USB port and left the car running so it wouldn't run the battery down during the install because he told me that's what he had to do. It then displayed the same "Update in progress" message that I had seen before using my own flash drive. About an hour later I got an "Info" icon which I displayed which said the update was successful. I checked the navigation settings but the date still displayed the 2019 map version. You have to shut the vehicle off and turn it back on for the version number to be updated. When I did that, the version that was displayed was the new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been trying to download the maps update on my 2019 RDX for 7 days! Spoke to Acura Customer Support, HereMaps twice, the dealer and am still without the updates. It just doesn't work at all! I love my Acuras but am so disappointed now. I've done everything they told me to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried with engine off as instructions said, with engine on. Left flashdrive in for several hours, including overnight. My nephew who works in engineering also downloaded update on his PC on his own flashdrive and nothing works!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have used 3 different USB's and none of them are detected on my 2019 RDX. I've tried starting the car, opening system updates, navigation - absolutely nothing is detected. I even left the engine running for a couple of hours burning gas and still nothing. I'm extremely disappointed in Acura and it's vendors. I've been working on this ever since the update email came out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts