Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2021 RDX for 2 months now and I've noticed that the drive is not very smooth. Whether in the driver seat or passenger seat, I feel every single bump on the road, even when it's a newly paved road. I like to compare it to a shopping cart. Some carts are smooth and others have a wonky wheel that raddles a bit. Has anyone experienced this? Shouldn't this luxury car have a smoother ride?

·
Registered
50 Posts
What is the PSI set at for the tires? I've noticed the manufacturer ships vehicles at 40-45 PSI "I think" to keep tires from having flat spots if they sit for a long time (and prevent low PSI on the lot for the same reason). It is hit or miss for the dealership to reset the PSI to normal levels for final sell.

Another issue could be the new suspension needing more time to break-in. I upgraded my 06 TSX to the A-Spec suspension after 20,000 miles and it was pretty stiff at first and I thought I made a mistake. It really smoothed out and felt better after +1000 miles of city and hwy driving.

Another consideration is Acura vehicles will usually have a more "sporty" ride compared to Lexus or Infiniti. An Acura will do a better job communicating the road/tire feel with the steering wheel and suspension compared to isolating you from that like other brands. Only the RLX has a soft luxury ride or you need the Adv model RDX with electronic dampers in Comfort mode for a softer ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 2009 TSX for 11 years and the ride was so smooth. I guess I expected the same thing from this RDX so I'm very disappointed with the purchase. I'm contemplating selling it back to them.

The PSI is around 40, which is less than what I kept the TSX at so that could be something to look at. I actually took the car to the dealer because I thought something was wrong with the car. They looked at me like I was crazy. When I asked about perhaps adjusting the suspension, their looks didn't get any better! I have about 400 miles on it now. Maybe, as you said, after 1000+ miles, it'll smooth out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would try adjusting the PSI in the tires to see if that might smooth out the ride a little bit.

Probably not an issue; but, I live at 5000 ft in NM. My hand held PSI gauge is off by +1.5 to +2 higher than actual pressure. I think this is because all hand held are calibrated for sea level and set to measure the pressure difference between tire and outside air. Not 100% sure if the Acura TPMS adjust for altitude or if this is the actual PSI reading on the M.I.D. since the sensor is inside the tire?

If you live at +2500 feet or more, you might have a larger range to adjust the PSI and still be in the recommended level for the RDX.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would try adjusting the PSI in the tires to see if that might smooth out the ride a little bit.

Probably not an issue; but, I live at 5000 ft in NM. My hand held PSI gauge is off by +1.5 to +2 higher than actual pressure. I think this is because all hand held are calibrated for sea level and set to measure the pressure difference between tire and outside air. Not 100% sure if the Acura TPMS adjust for altitude or if this is the actual PSI reading on the M.I.D. since the sensor is inside the tire?

If you live at +2500 feet or more, you might have a larger range to adjust the PSI and still be in the recommended level for the RDX.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 2009 TSX for 11 years and the ride was so smooth. I guess I expected the same thing from this RDX so I'm very disappointed with the purchase. I'm contemplating selling it back to them.

The PSI is around 40, which is less than what I kept the TSX at so that could be something to look at. I actually took the car to the dealer because I thought something was wrong with the car. They looked at me like I was crazy. When I asked about perhaps adjusting the suspension, their looks didn't get any better! I have about 400 miles on it now. Maybe, as you said, after 1000+ miles, it'll smooth out.
Your TSX had over 40 lbs? The I4 required 32 lbs and the V6 required 33 lbs in all four tires. Read the label on the door jam, it gives you the correct inflation. 40lbs in an RDX is too much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your TSX had over 40 lbs? The I4 required 32 lbs and the V6 required 33 lbs in all four tires. Read the label on the door jam, it gives you the correct inflation. 40lbs in an RDX is too much.
Yes, when I bought it from the dealer, it was 40 in all 4 tires. But now it's down to 38 with the cold weather. I just looked up the owner's manual online and it does say 33 to 36. I'll get the pressure lower and see if that helps with the ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts