Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello 3rd Gen TL owners. We currently own a 2012 Accord V6, a 2010 Accord V6, and a 2010 Odyssey. Our youngest daughter is approaching drivers license age. I have never driven an Acura TL and am wondering if a 3rd gen would be a good first car for our youngest daughter. I love the J series engine and recently did my first timing belt and water pump replacement on a J35. Any comments are highly appreciated.

· Registered
107 Posts
I had a 06 TSX and 08 RDX and those years of Acura seemed to have similar issues just related to age:
  • leaky P/S pump
  • leaky P/S rack
  • dying alternators
  • A/C compressor failing
  • hairline cracks in upper/lower parts of radiators, bad radiator caps, or bad hose for coolant overflow sucking in air
  • radiator/condenser fans slowing dying and not turning fast enough causing the car to overheat in city driving
  • worn suspension parts
  • HID bulbs/ballast dying/failing
  • cracked fogs, UV damaged hazy headlights
  • key fob range
  • door actuators
  • navi DVD reader failure
  • a lot of rust if you live in the rust belt with salty road in winter
  • requires 91 octane fuel and mpgs are below avg compared to similar hp/tq vehicles of today
  • faded paint

It would hard to find a 3rd Gen TL that isn't on its 2nd to 4th owner by now. It is a great car if you can find one unmodified and a good maintenance history. I like the 07/08 TLs; especially, the TL Type-S with the 3.5L high output engine (all other 3rd gens had the 3.2L). Other cars that would be just as good are:
  • 06 to 08 1st Gen TSX
  • +09 2nd Gen TSX (had 2.4L and 3.5L engine options)
  • +13 2nd Gen RDX (3.5L V-6, updated tech, great mpgs, awd option, more room, can run on 87 octane)
  • ILX (I like the 2.4L +16 ILX facelift with Aspec)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I do like the TSX and that is another option. I see 207 used 2004-2008 TL on Autotrader today. I see 114 used 2006-2008 TSX on Autotrader. So I guess there are about twice as many used TLs available versus TSX. I like the fact that all 3rd gen TLs have the J32 V6. The TSX are mostly L4. Yes, V6 is optional. In terms of the age related items you listed, those are true of any car 14 years old and up. So the entire point of buying an older used car for my daughter is its not a big deal if she dings it. Three of her older siblings took turns driving my mother's rusty Ford Five Hundred as their first car and every time it got a new dent everyone had a good laugh. We would sometimes go around the car and try to assign blame for each dent to the correct driver and they would argue "that's not my dent that's yours!" LOL

· Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I do like the TSX and that is another option. I see 207 used 2004-2008 TL on Autotrader today. I see 114 used 2006-2008 TSX on Autotrader. So I guess there are about twice as many used TLs available versus TSX. I like the fact that all 3rd gen TLs have the J32 V6. The TSX are mostly L4. Yes, V6 is optional. In terms of the age related items you listed, those are true of any car 14 years old and up. So the entire point of buying an older used car for my daughter is its not a big deal if she dings it. Three of her older siblings took turns driving my mother's rusty Ford Five Hundred as their first car and every time it got a new dent everyone had a good laugh. We would sometimes go around the car and try to assign blame for each dent to the correct driver and they would argue "that's not my dent that's yours!" LOL
The 04-08 TLs was Acura #1 selling car back then and the reason for so many on used market today. I ended up purchasing a new 06 TSX because the TL was touch out my price range back then. The TSX was made in Japan and the TL was made in North America. The TSX had less powertrain and quality issues compared to the TL overall. Probably because the North American TSX and the exact same overseas Honda Accord version sold in every other market around the world. I like the TSX because it had a timing chain, handled like it was on rails, and mpgs were always 25-27 city and +31 on the hwy. What I didn't like was the lack of TQ from the 2.4L engine and tight back seat (called my TSX my 4-door coupe).

I handed down the TSX after 8 years to my son for his H.S. and College car. He drove it another 5 more years until a red light runner T-boned it and totalled it with +176,000 miles. It was just age related stuff with the TSX like leaky P/S rack, A/C clutch, alternator, or worn suspension parts after she hit +120,000 miles.

There was a huge price difference new; but, they can be very close in price used depending on mileage. I would let the daughter test drive both to see which one she likes better.

Reactions: DIY Fan

· Registered
168 Posts
Had 2010 TSX v6, it was one great car. Traded it in with 190,000 miles, never burned a drop of oil and was strong the day I traded it in! Only issue over the 10 years were axles, alternator, and the headliner fell! All repairs were made! The interior was in great condition. Can’t say enough about the V6 TSX.
You might want to look at Honda Civic for your daughter! From my experience with kids the civic was pretty bullet proof.

· Registered
212 Posts
Acura is synonymous with reliability, performance, and luxury. If the price tag isn't deterrence, Acura vehicles are excellent first cars as they are dependable daily drivers with low ownership costs. Plus, Acuras hold value well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts