Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im considering buying a 3rd generation TL possibly an 07 or 08, im a bit of a do it yourselfer when it comes to minor maintenance. So before i buy one i thought id ask the guys who own them. my questions may sound dumb, but many new cars make it difficult to do the minor stuff by yourself.

1. is it possible to change the oil and get to the filter myself by putting it up on jack stands?
2. are the spark plugs accessible to change yourself?
3. do you HAVE TO use premium gas? or can i get by with the middle grade or even regular grade?
4. any issues or things that bother you about the car?

reason im asking is someone from work said they got a newer Altima and took it in for a tune up and they had to lift the engine out to change the spark plugs because they were on the side of the engine. just want to know what im dealing with.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,787 Posts
1. Yes. That should not be a problem.

2. They shouldn't require replacing until >90k miles, but I have heard they can be a pain.

3. I ONLY used 89 octane and higher and had no issues. But I did use 93 at least every third fill-up -- or so -- and put in injection cleaner with every oil change. I STRONGLY recommend NOT using anything less than 89 as performance will suffer. It certainly did with my '01 CL Type-S when I used it just once.

4. Nothing major.

Good luck!

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
29 Posts
im considering buying a 3rd generation TL possibly an 07 or 08, im a bit of a do it yourselfer when it comes to minor maintenance. So before i buy one i thought id ask the guys who own them. my questions may sound dumb, but many new cars make it difficult to do the minor stuff by yourself.

1. is it possible to change the oil and get to the filter myself by putting it up on jack stands?
2. are the spark plugs accessible to change yourself?
3. do you HAVE TO use premium gas? or can i get by with the middle grade or even regular grade?
4. any issues or things that bother you about the car?

reason im asking is someone from work said they got a newer Altima and took it in for a tune up and they had to lift the engine out to change the spark plugs because they were on the side of the engine. just want to know what im dealing with.
Froglegs,
answers are:
1. To change the oil and filter, I drive the car up on some ramps that only raise the car a few inches. Works well.
2. I changed my own spark plugs. Back 3 require removing strut bar. All the nuts are easily accessible to remove bar. After that, back 3 plugs are relatively easy to reach.
3. I've only used 91 or better. In theory, you're supposed to be able to run lower octane and the computer will retard timing to compensate. I won't test that theory until I get closer to selling my '04...
4. No serious issues. Listen for rattles and make the dealer fix them (or discount the price).

Make sure the 105k service has been done. It can run over $1000 to change the Timing Belt/Water Pump/Tensioner. Make it bargaining chip if it hasn't been done.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts