Acura World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the odds? And rumors I haven't heard? I've heard that the 6 speed will find its way into the Accord next generation. But nothing about the TL.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would guess for the end of 2003 model year or 2004 model year...

chances are very high... they will

Keep in mind that they offer the 6spd on the CL because they want to offer more on the CL... attrac buyers, same goes to their seats... The CL-S seats is a lot niver compared to the TL-S seat. A lot more sportier and stuff...

Now they want to get the most out of the current TL, so at the end of it's life cycle, the spd will be nice to just boost some exposure @ magazines, and stuff... The question is... how many people will seriously consider it? I mean I would, but to actually buy it? maybe not... the TL is a family car not a sports car

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
well, imho, i think there will be 6 speed for tls (yes tls only) but it won't be on the current generation. my reasonings are as follow

1) the cls and tls would probably get 6 speed for different reasons. the cls got the 6 speed mainly coz' its sales are not as good for the past yr or so, and acura wanna use this to boost up the sales. remember, honda already siad that if the sales of cls doesn't increase this year they will think about discontinuing the whole line.

tls is another story. the sales of tl has always been good, the addition of 6 speed is purely from a enthusiasts point of view. so unless there are really sufficient reasons for honda i don't think they will throw in the additional cost to make the 6 speed, at lesat on the current generation

2) i dont' think there will be 6 speed on the current generation coz' this yr (2003 model) would be the last year for this generation. honda has said that the tl would be totally redesigned for 04. and from the spec of the upcoming accord we can probably get some "hints"

3.5 v6 is possible, though staying with 3.2 v6 is still ok for honda. hp it would probably be around 300hp stock for the tls, which is not very surprising. and with all these figures, it would give honda more sense to actually make a 6 speed model rather than the current 5 speed auto where the power loss is substantial.

so from above, i don't think acura will really focus on putting 6 speed on the current generation of tl, coz' it has very good sales already and putting in more cost for 6 speed doesnt' make sense coz' the new model is coming out next year anyway.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's early 2002, now... The new TL will and should arrive summer 2003 the earliest... That's like more then a full year ahead. As far as the cost of putting in the TL-S in there? hum... I think it would be smarter for Honda to spread & share the R&D cost with the TL as well...

well well, only time will tell...

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
SL1200MK4 said:
It's early 2002, now... The new TL will and should arrive summer 2003 the earliest... That's like more then a full year ahead. As far as the cost of putting in the TL-S in there? hum... I think it would be smarter for Honda to spread & share the R&D cost with the TL as well...

well well, only time will tell...
ummm last time i heard the 04 tls would come out in march 03, just like the 02 tls came out in march 01.

·
Registered
192 Posts
rominl said:

ummm last time i heard the 04 tls would come out in march 03, just like the 02 tls came out in march 01.
hum... interesting... cuz we havn't seen, heard anything about the next gen. TL yet...

but 99-00-01-02-03... 5 years... the new TL show show up as 2004. But I think the 2003 will live a bit longer then that...

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
SL1200MK4 said:

hum... interesting... cuz we havn't seen, heard anything about the next gen. TL yet...

but 99-00-01-02-03... 5 years... the new TL show show up as 2004. But I think the 2003 will live a bit longer then that...
well tim at a-tl.com has talked about it before. he got words from honda back in jan

·
Registered
771 Posts
I can't see Honda putting a manual tranny in the TL. Historically Honda hasn't offered a manual tranny in the V6 accords nor the legend.

The CL was an exception since everyone and their mom was comparing it to the 3 series bmw and honda's ultimate goal was to take part in that segment.

I think the demographic for the TL is another reason. The younger buyers tend to buy bmw's and the IS300 because they are in many ways sportier...rear wheel drive for one thing.

I would be very surprised if the TL was ever offered in a manual...i would expect to see it with rear wheel drive also much like infiniti's direction.

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
jimster716 said:
I can't see Honda putting a manual tranny in the TL. Historically Honda hasn't offered a manual tranny in the V6 accords nor the legend.

The CL was an exception since everyone and their mom was comparing it to the 3 series bmw and honda's ultimate goal was to take part in that segment.

I think the demographic for the TL is another reason. The younger buyers tend to buy bmw's and the IS300 because they are in many ways sportier...rear wheel drive for one thing.

I would be very surprised if the TL was ever offered in a manual...i would expect to see it with rear wheel drive also much like infiniti's direction.
Well said. I will be very suprised to see Honda put in a 6-speed in the TL's. For one the sales are already high and I think Honda put the 6-speed in the CL-s for potential 330ci buyers. Another reason is, well isn't the average age of TL buyers in the mid 30's to 40's. A age group that aren't really attracted to clutch anyway.

·
Registered
16,773 Posts
Maybe an SMG? :D You can set those in "automatic" mode where it does the shifting for you... and you can select different shifting types.. "sporty" or "fuel econ"... or you could always just shift yourself (a true manual transmission)...

Expensive? Yes... but it's probably where most automatics are headed in the next few years as it becomes more accepted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IF TL TYPE S is sport edition and sports sedan....then there's NO REASON why not put a 6 speed manual...like they did with LEGEND..

They have manual for bimmer, maximas, infiniti g35.. they all are sedans...but comes with option of 6 speed..

ACura can always make it an option..since they already have a footprint for the CL-S 6speed..it's not hard to swap it over to TL..

city

·
Registered
114 Posts
btw, I hear that 6-speed gearbox is silky-smooth!!!.. dayam. wish i had one.. also..have u guys seen the silver interior trim on the 03 Cl-S's?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have seen that silver trim in person...

hum... not impressed at all... it looks just like a stock woodtrim with spray on silver pain...

Anyways, I mean it's more like Subaru kinda quality instead of BMW kinda quality...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.