Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Acura Integra LS with the B18B1 engine and the 4-Speed automatic transmission. It works great except the following symptoms.

• Slips when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear
  • Shifts very hard through all gears
  • Takes about 2-3 seconds to shift

I've noticed after reading many forums that this is not an uncommon problem and I've noticed that it generally starts happening after some type of traumatic event, such as a car accident. My car has a salvage title since it was rolled in Florida. However, it was re-certified to be licensed again and runs and drives great.

I talked to the dealership and they want like $3,500.00 to replace the transmission, but another shop said that it could possibly be a problem with one of the solenoids not not diverting enough pressure to shift properly.

I've already changed the fluid, knowing how picky these transmissions are about that. I did not flush, but drained and put all Acura brand automatic transmission fluid in it. It didn't do any good though.

I love the car, as everyone else I've heard talking about this problem does. So, any info on how to fix it or where I could get a great deal on a transmission would be most appreciated! :wavey:

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
It does sound like the trans is on its way out. But, yes, I would check the shift solenoids first.

·
Integra Mod/2nd Gen Guru
4,747 Posts
Damage was probably already done. You can try to put some lucas tranny fix in there. It's not going to hurt anything now since it's dieing.

·
Vigorous
318 Posts
I'd only put Honda Z1 ATF in any Honda or Acura auto tranny box, that's just me.

Since you've done that already, you may need to do another, since a drain and fill will only replace less than 1/2 of the total fluid in there. I usually do a flush using the tranny hoses to the radiator.

Shift solenoids sounds like the most probable cause here. Those solenoids are probably failing from debri that has got them clogged. Have you checked the drain bolt and removed the crud on it? Do you know if this tranny has a screen or filter that may be clogged? Did you check the fluid level to make sure it's not too low, or too high?

Shawn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts