Acura World banner

99 RL hit snow bank

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hondacuraplanet 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

I Crashed into an ice/snow wall created by plows. Messed up front bumper and smashed some plastic compartment underneath the air box on the passenger side. What is that and how important is it to replace?

Also the car overheats now so i dont drive it, I checked my radiator and that seems fine, but my AC condensor is bent. I checked to see if my cooling fans were coming on and it doesn't look like they are.
Is there a way to keep them always on, could I have disconnected a wire when I crashed?

And last, the car idle jumps between 1500 and 2500 when idling.

Any help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

#2 ·
Here's a few answers:

1. The box that was crushed is the resonator chamber for the airbox. I'd replace it, or at worst, seal it up with some duct tape until the weather breaks.

2. Direct wire 12V to the fans to see if they come on, or if they are damaged. From there, we can diagnose the issue, which may be cured by #3 below.

3. Your idle is jumping because your coolant is low. The coolant temp sensor lets the ECM know when to kick the car out of high idle, and if it can't read anything, it goes into a feedback loop, resulting in a BRUM BRUM BRUM BRUM type choppy idle.

With the engine cold and the car shut off, remove the radiator cap and inspect (the overflow tank will not tell you the level in the system). Fill, and start the car, allowing air bubbles to rise to the surface for a minute or two, and reinstall the radiator cap with the engine running. This should cure the choppy idle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.