Acura World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My temperature has been showing over heat when i drive for more then 20 minutes and every cold day i start my car it seems like it's going to die then it starts having gray/white smoke coming out from my muffler. I just bought a coolant sensor and i can't find the coolant sensor on my Acura CL at all. Please give me a feed back.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
It's not the sensor. Your car is really overheating. I'm guessing that you blew the head gasket at this point due to the overheating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coolant sensor

Well, one of my mechanic friend said that i could possible cracked my head gasket due to overheating but when it was overheating the car was able to drive. So i'm guessing that is the case a cracked head gasket? I check compression and it was stil in good hands, also changed new spark plugs. How much does it cost to change a head gasket? i know its pretty expensive. thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If you have a bad head gasket, you must have one cylinder lower than the others, or they're all low. What were the compression readings?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front cylinders are 100psi and the rear cylinders are at 125psi. It's hard to start the car but it's able to start and when it starts running it run's perfectly fine. It takes about a minute or two to start the car then it has that enriched fuel smell, some of my friends say it could be thermostat and coolant sensor?

·
57 Posts
Coolant level dropping?

Check the dipstick to see if any coolant is getting into the crank case. Oil will look milky on the dipstick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I check the dip stick already and there is no milky color there. I just changed my coolant temperature sensor and it didn't make any difference. I got the car to start and white smoke was coming. If this is the case im thinking a cracked headgasket. Thanks for the info.

·
57 Posts
I check the dip stick already and there is no milky color there. I just changed my coolant temperature sensor and it didn't make any difference. I got the car to start and white smoke was coming. If this is the case im thinking a cracked headgasket. Thanks for the info.
I'm inclined to agree. The compression difference between front and rear is a "tell." (100 lbs of compression isn't normal.) Another one is that if coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and your seeing what might be steam coming from the exhaust, the coolant level should be dropping. It might be time to pull the head.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mhm. That leaves me curious as of right now. My brother also said the same thing that coolant could possible leaked into the chamber and making it hard for the car to start. If it actually is coolant leaking into the chamber then most likely i have a bad head gasket? This just mean it's not a good sign.

·
57 Posts
Mhm. That leaves me curious as of right now. My brother also said the same thing that coolant could possible leaked into the chamber and making it hard for the car to start. If it actually is coolant leaking into the chamber then most likely i have a bad head gasket? This just mean it's not a good sign.
Yup. If the car got REALLY overheated for a prolonged period, the head (aluminum) could be warped and/or cracked.

If not, at the very least, you absolutely have to pull the head and install a new head gasket. Getting the thing off is a royal PITA because there's so much preliminary work to do before you can even get to the head bolts, not the least of which is that you have to take the valve assembly apart. (The only good news here is that it's the front bank of cylinders that have the problem. Much easier to get to.)

If you're not an experienced wrench, it might be better to let a qualified mechanic have a go at it. It might be spendy but it'll be done right and much quicker than if you attempted it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As of right now white smoke is coming out of my exhaust and im sure that's probably the coolant being burn off, so my guess as of right now is to take to the shop? I think the front head gasket is leaking a bit. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Next, you need to do a cylinder leakdown test to see where the compression is going....let us know how you make out at the shop :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts