Acura World banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i am just curious is there any acura/honda which is is not the old legend from 2004 , which have night vision system , is the system availble for RLX or other high end acura?
For people who are not familiar,
honda introduced system with legend in 2004 year i think,
also lexus/bmw/mercedess/and some other brands have night vision system which still is used in their cars... but not sure about honda/acura?
Can someone clarify?

·
Registered
106 Posts
No such system for Canadian or USA RLXs. It was replaced with the Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS). This system is radar based that activates once your speed is above 3 mph. My 18 RLX hybrid also has Cross Traffic Monitoring on the rear bumper only and it uses a radar system (similar to Blind Spot Monitoring radar). It gives you an alert on the 360 degree camera screen with arrows showing where the object is approaching (only active in reverse). The RLX hybrid also has sonic sensors on the front and rear bumper for stationary object if you are trying to maneuver in a tight spot. The parking sensor warning markers is also displayed on the 360 camera image on navi screen along with warning beeps that speed up as you get closer.

My RLX hybrid also has a front windshield mounted camera that works with Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Road Departure Mitigation (RDM), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and Low Speed Follow (LSF) systems. The Acura/Honda safety systems are driver assist systems. Meaning, they are never ever designed to prevent a crash. The system is only designed to alert the driver, start the corrective action if needed (steering and/or braking process), and hopefully reduce the severity of an impact. There is still a possibility you would still hit a pedestrian that walked infront of the RLX from between parked cars at 25 mph on city streets. The system "might" see them, alert you, and start the braking process or miss them entirely.

Unfortunately, Acura/Honda safety systems work best in daylight, individual adults standing upright, light traffic, and with perfect spring/summer cloudless weather. The performance and false/positive become an issue as traffic gets heavy, crowds of people, weather gets worse, and visibility decreases.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So they removed nigh view system everwhere in order to safe up cash while competitor still use it till now and improve it always.... is rlx body made of aluminium like audi a8 :) or its steel?

·
Registered
106 Posts
So they removed nigh view system everwhere in order to safe up cash while competitor still use it till now and improve it always.... is rlx body made of aluminium like audi a8 :) or its steel?
The front subframe is aluminum along with front suspension parts, hood, front fenders, rims, and doors. The rest is steel. I recently had hail damage on my RLX and had way more damage on the roof and rear trunk compared to the front fenders and hood. Had +100 pea sizes dents fixed 100% with dent-less paint repair.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thats great and helpful info is Acura Rlx better than audi a8 and bmw 5, 7 series , jaguar xf,xe,, maserati quadra porte, mercedess s class w221 face lift, cadillac Ct5 in terms of reliability? Why there arent any info over internet why night vision system is no longer used or offered for Canada,usa, europe i think its still offered in Japan not really sure about it. Its helpful system

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can easily go +200,000 miles with just scheduled maintenance with a Honda/Acura. You will have the occasional alternator, suspension part, key fob range, door actuator, or blown speaker along the way. It doesn't get more expensive as the vehicle gets older because the 3.5L+6/9/10AT is so popular and many parts are similar if not the same same as other Honda 3.5L vehicles. This is assuming you use a local shop or purchase the part yourself. Acura wanted to charge me $2400 to fix my fail A/C compressor on my 06 TSX at +120.000 miles. I did it for $700 with a local shop after purchasing the compressor on-line.

I think the IR system was a good; but, harder to implement because of too many variables. It is hard to program an IR system to recognize a person is every possible configuration like in wheel chair, on a bike, carrying large shopping bags, in a group, completely covered in winter gear at zero degrees, etc... I don't think the early Honda IR systems had auto braking like today's radar system? I can see the radar/camera based system being able to interpret obstacles better because it just has to identify any object larger than a 1-2 year old toddler to work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually i have driven honda legend year 2007 3.5 petrol engine and it auto brakes for you such a great car!! i was amazed back then so they auto brake depends on the level of equipment even in city traffic, i will be looking after rlx before face lift since they are cheaper but still hard to find due to availability and few sales why people doesnt sale them and buy only hybrid cars ,how about cadillac ct5 its american made car high end car like s class and a8 i never tried any cadillac since they arent available in bulgaria.

I am still divided between lexus gs or rlx depends on which car i will find better deal. i think both are great value for money.Used

·
Registered
106 Posts
To clarify, Acura was leaning towards IR system; but, switched to auto braking in 2006 for the North American market. I don't think Acura had plans to match the IR system and CMBS together for North America. My auto braking for my 11 MDX Adv only started working at +10 mph. I'm just thinking the IR-CMBS might have detected a pedestrian; but, it might not stopped to avoid hitting them was the issue at lower speeds.

The newer gen of auto braking AcuraWatch systems on my 18 RLX and 19 MDX that uses cameras and radar works much better than my 11 MDX with just radar. I have way less false/positive alerts, improvement in bad weather, and better low visibility situations because of the LED headlights. The RLX auto braking is designed to work above 3 mph and is advertised for pedestrian detection.

I think the RL, TL and even the TSX of that 2004-2008 era where the most beautiful designed cars on the road during that era.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S-class , audi a8 , cadilac c5 , and others have automatic braking + pedestrian detection for night mode so system is still a good and its much improved compared to the early days of 2004-5-6-7-8 :)

Is s-class,audi a8,cadilac c5, jaguar xe/xf better cars in terms of realibility, do they have a lot of issues how about cadillac u have a lof of them in usa?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Other than Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda, no other luxury brand car has the +200,000 miles of long term reliability to their level. It was a much more evenly matched reliability back in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s because luxury and domestic cars were not that advance as they are today. Cars are just too complicated, way more computer chips, and they need specialized tools and training to diagnose/fix mechanical and software issues.

Not a lot of old Cadillac sedans on the road in USA because of poor resell value, costly mechanical issues, and easy financing for newer models. Very hard to find an America car with +100,000 miles that isn't on its 2nd to 4th owner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How about Infiniti q70/m , or jaguar xf/xe ? Infiniti is nissan high quality right are they with same reliability like lexus/and acura?

Further more does Acura rlx before face lift have low beam and high beam - both LED headlights or only low beam led headlights ?
how good are they compared to the xenon in terms of road brightness ?

I know that halogen bulbs are worse compared to xenon in term of road brightness /lightning but how about led vs xenon lights?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nissan/Infiniti has quality issues and don't have the long term reliability as Lexus/Toyota or Acura/Honda. I would rank Mazda and Subaru higher than Nissan and Mitsubishi and Suzuki around the same as Nissan. Vehicles from England usually have even lower reliability ratings as they get older to all other European brands and even lower than American brands.

The Acura RLX has always used LED for low and high beams since 2014. The RLX headlight output is different for North America compared to Europe. You can find BMW with higher output laser headlights in Europe and that isn't available in the USA. The LED headlights are at the top of the list for light output, Xenon/HIDs next, and then projector halogen. The Acura LEDs are around 5500-6000 kelvin cool blue/white light output; which, is similar to same light output on a clear summer day at high noon. Acura's previous gen HIDs like on your 07 RL or my old 06 TSX/08 RDX were around 4300-4500 kelvin warm yellow/white output; which, is closer to early morning sunlight after sunrise. You will have a longer, wider, and brighter view of the road with LEDs compared to HIDs/Xenon. I upgraded my 11 MDX OEM 4300 kelvin HIDs to cool blue OSRAM 6000 kelvin HIDs. It was a noticeable improvement with my 11 MDX in light output and road illumination. The OSRAM still fell short compared to my LED project lens 19 MDX (6 for low beam, 4 for high beam) or 18 RLX (16 projectors for low beam, 4 projectors for high beam).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@mrgold35 do you have by any chance ACURA RLX full service manual ?
i really need one.
Thats great :)
but mazda have quality issues as well. , how far u can see with LED low beam compared to previous acura low beam but hid /xenon?

My current accord have hid/xenon on low beam from factory.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't have a service manual for the RLX.

It is very hard to judge the LED -vs- HID distance. I've noticed a big difference is with reflective road signs and road markings are better illuminated at a much further distance. I'm sometimes blinded by side of the road signs if the sign angle reflects directly back into the vehicle when passing it. We have an issue in some areas of deer and elk crossing the roadway at night by thick woods and brush. The highways is cleared the trees and the grass is cut low on either side of the road. The fresh grass sprouts is like candy to the deer/elk and the can graze on it at night. I've noticed my LED headlights can spot the animals sooner and the LEDs make their eyes glow brighter at night. The brighter LED lights might even hypnotize them because they just stop eating and just stare at the light sometimes instead of getting scared and darting all over the place.

I still have my 11 MDX and I drive my newer Acuras with LED headlights when I have to leave my in-law mom/dad's place at night in the mountains because of the extra LED light output (also have bears, cougars, horses, and skunks that can pop out on the road near their home).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is there a place where i can download the full service manual or it doesnt exist and its kept for acura autorized dealers only?
in Bg we dont have acura how the car will be repaired no one have clue about it ,
is there a free service manual if not full at least partial ?
Me and my wife we hate driving at night since here in bg they doesnt use any lights to bright the roads and a lot of potholes so extra bright headlights will be extremely good :) for us.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I saw your post on the other forum. That would be the place to look for someone to have a .pdf of the RLX service manual.

If you do go for the RLX, I would see about upgrading the rims from 19 inch down to 18 inch size if you have a lot of pothole. The extra tire rubber would help protect the rims. I've already had a flat tire hitting a small pot hole at hwy speeds (very lucky to have one flat and didn't bend the rims since I hit it with both front/rear tires). It is getting next to impossible to find replacement OEM rims for the RLX without paying a lot of money for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can honda accord rims fit or other honda car fit rlx - in size 18 ?
Are there cheap aftermarket options or only genuine oem 18 inch rims i should look? Bigger tyres size are also expensive.. right now our current car accord have 17 and 18 inch rims and they are very expensive..
rims+ tyres. Regarding the manual if i dont find it i guess its pure only with subscription so no way to own it..

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know the bolt pattern, center bore, or offset of the Accord rims. Factory rims are sometime more expensive compared to aftermarket rims. Depends on what type of aftermarket rims you want depends on price. Most rims I like are usually around the same price as one replacement tire around the $225 to $300 USD each range for one rim.

You can always use the OEM rims that come with the RLX. Just be prepared if a pot hole damages one of them. I switched to aftermarket rims in the 19 inch size so I wouldn't have to purchase tire also. The 19 inch aftermarket rims I picked are fairly popular and I can get a replacement pretty quick. I still have my 4 original rims in my garage I might sell later.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts