Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate this thing. We had one for like eight months and the resale value of this shit sucks 2. Lost like 10 grand in eight months. Damn. we were pissed. But ended up getting a E320 instead.

Anyway, I like Acuras and all but the current RL is shit. The Legend to me still looks better. The legend was a car ahead of it's time. For a design that came out in 1991, this thing still looks good compared to some of the car out there on the market today.
So kill the RL and bring back the Legend to compete against LS430...

Anybody else on this with me???

LIL RAJA

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
49 Posts
What year was it? Sounds like you got hosed by the dealership - either you paid too much to start with, or you let them screw you on the trade in.

The ALG actually shows the RL's have pretty good residual values.

Acura won't be killing the RL, but I'm sure it's up for a major overhaul soon. A V8 is the first thing that comes to mind.

·
Registered
69 Posts
LIL RAJA said:
I hate this thing. We had one for like eight months and the resale value of this shit sucks 2. Lost like 10 grand in eight months. Damn. we were pissed. But ended up getting a E320 instead.

Anyway, I like Acuras and all but the current RL is shit. The Legend to me still looks better. The legend was a car ahead of it's time. For a design that came out in 1991, this thing still looks good compared to some of the car out there on the market today.
So kill the RL and bring back the Legend to compete against LS430...

Anybody else on this with me???

LIL RAJA

It would be nice to see the Legend make a comeback. Your right, a car ahead of its time. Steering volume control,wood console, etc... I noticed the Honda Accords are just now putting the steering volume controls in their cars. The legend has been their and done that.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FLL Type-S said:
What year was it? Sounds like you got hosed by the dealership - either you paid too much to start with, or you let them screw you on the trade in.

The ALG actually shows the RL's have pretty good residual values.

Acura won't be killing the RL, but I'm sure it's up for a major overhaul soon. A V8 is the first thing that comes to mind.
Bought it June 97, sold it March 98. It just sucked. Sorry to say that. My father owned 3 Legends before this 87, 91, 95 and all of them were really nice. Even the 87 had features that are just being available on the accord. Like CakeDaddy said. he is so right.

Legend - a car ahead of it's time. <then>

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Legend. I also didn't even consider the RL until 99 when it got redesign. Now I think its awesome. I drove the BMW 5 Series and E320 and didn't think it was that special. I'm not sure why reviewers make them such big deals. Maybe the difference is on the track, but in traffic, you can't tell the difference. On the highway, the RL rides smoother than both because of its longer wheelbase.

I think people buy the RL for the wrong reason. Its suppose to be a luxury cruiser. If you want a sports car, get an NSX.

I don't think I'll get a BMW or Mercedes as my next cruiser. I like the Audi S8 more.

WilliamT
99 RL (Naples Gold)
97 NSX-T (Spa Yellow)

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The RL is a nice car, that's about it.

it does not have the driving characteristic of a Benz or BMW. We had RL and now we have the E320. My sister has BMW 540i, they are all different cars, but the RL's ride is bland. If you drive these cars extensively then you will see the difference. Not just a quick drive. i am not putting the RL down or anything. But honestly it has no market niche or comparative advantage over it's competition. No wonder sales are so low. The Benz is much more luxurious. Take them for a long trip 5-6hrs and you will see how they will feel after the trip. The 540i is a bit torque-y.

Audis r great cars as well and it's a sleeper especially the S8.

But still kill the RL.....

LIL Raja

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think the RL doesn't get any respect because people they are comparing it to the wrong cars. I think Acura did a great job in finding a niche inbetween the entry level cars and large V8 luxury models.

There are folks out that that don't want to spend 50k+ on a car but want the size and luxury of these cars while willing to give up some performance. What do they have to choose from in the 40k range? Not much. Just the RL, and Volvo S80. The closest German car in the 196 in size is the Audi A6 2.8 Quattro. The niche is just starting to get more competitive when Infiniti introduces its M45 in the same 40k range. (BMW 5-Series and MB E-Class are more performance oriented and much smaller). The Lincoln Continential and Caddy DTS have the size and luxury in that price range, but not the reliability).

I think the current styling of the RL is fantastic (99 models and up only). They add just enough chrome to make it look very classy.
Its styling borrows a lot from the old 7-Series (taillights) and previous generation MB S-Class (C-Pillars, and front body panels). I'm not a big fan of the current 7-Series or MB S-Class. The S-Class cost cutting is obvious in its interior (round shapes probably come from the same moldings used in Chrysler cars).

The paint is excellent on the RL. (5 coats on the 99 Model, same as the Lexus LS430). (in comparison, Acura TL has 2 coats, 2002 Q45 only 3 coats).

The RL doesn't need a V8. If they can squeeze more power out of their V6 and keep the max torque at a low rpm, I would be just a happy. When the BMW 7 Series use to have a 3.5L engine, no one complained about performance on those inline-6 models.

You can now get an A8L at below invoice, I think. Thats an awesome deal. Cheaper than an LS430 ultra model. 300+ hp in a 4.2L V8 with AWD in an all alum construction body. Why don't these cars sell? Styling?

William
99 RL (Naples Gold)
97 NSX-T (Spa Yellow)

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Well also the RL is one of the only cars in that size thats under 45k and is fwd.

My dad always likes the RL cuz of the FWD, here in Chicago RWD would suck in the snow. The RL was the greatest thing i have ever driven in the snow. Yes even better than my TLS. :angel:

but his lease is coming to an end soon, so he may spend a little more and get into a A6. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Everyone keeps bitching about RWD and the snow...

HELLO - it's called VSA and traction control!!!

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Everyone keeps bitching about RWD and the snow...

HELLO - it's called VSA and traction control!!!
haha silly florida boy.... you try to drive a RWD car in the snow, even if it has VSA or traction control... oh and dont forget ICE, you will still be all over the place! :bash:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beg to differ. All you need is a limited slip differential. You remember the week of blizzards on the east coast in 96? All of DC metro was shut down, but I drove my wife to work at the supermarket every day in my 2WD pickup with LSD. Of course you also have to know HOW to drive in snow and ice and have good tires.

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Dave C said:
Beg to differ. All you need is a limited slip differential. You remember the week of blizzards on the east coast in 96? All of DC metro was shut down, but I drove my wife to work at the supermarket every day in my 2WD pickup with LSD. Of course you also have to know HOW to drive in snow and ice and have good tires.

im not saying it cant be done, i was just saying its easier in a FWD car. ;) :angel:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I know someone that drives in the same snow/ice that I do with a LS430 with traction control-blah blah. There only complaint about the car is the rear wheel drive. And yes, you can use rear wheel drive here with snow tires, but it is just not the same. It just can't compare to a front or all wheel drive setup.

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
...for you guys in California it is. :D

Up here, 6" of snow is considered an "inconvenience".

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Crazy Quattro said:
haha silly florida boy.... you try to drive a RWD car in the snow, even if it has VSA or traction control... oh and dont forget ICE, you will still be all over the place! :bash:

I cant beileve i even said this back then :lol: :lol:

Now after owning a RWD car, i think its perfectly fine in the snow :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.