Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in theroy which one is faster? they look about equal in performance since they are both about equal has anyone raced friends or even messed around on express way.by the way this is stock for stock nothing else i personally think the legend would win but the maxima is a couple of hundred pounds lighter according to kbb.

94 acura legend ls coupe
hp 230 @ 6200 RPM
torque 206 @ 5000 RPM
curb weight 3583 lbs.

97 nissan maxima
hp 190 @ 5600 RPM
torque 205 @ 4000 RPM
curb weight 3097 lbs.

i figured this might be somthing to talk about that might of not been mentioned before any thoughts discuss away and got all info from kbb

·
Registered
35 Posts
the legend will win. hand down. especially during highway speeds...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The Legend will win. I have owned both a 1996 Maxima SE 5spd and a 1992 L Coupe 5spd. I was in the Legend and pulled up next to a 1996 Maxima SE 5-spd. We both went and I took him off the line easily and just walked away the whole time. That was a TypeI too.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
110 Posts
just look where both cars make peak torque and HP, the Legend pulls power longer, which basically negates the weight difference, that extra 1000 rpms the legend stay in power is key, plus other x factors like the gearing on both cars, might wanna see if you can find some stock 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for both cars. My guess is the Legend would walk on a Maxima, I have a Type 1 auto with a Type 2 engine swap, stillusing the Tye 1 ECU and trans and I haven't found a Maxima yet that can hang.

·
Registered
6 Posts
95-99 maxima SE 5sp CAN run 15.1 in the 1/4 stock with a good driver (as witnessed running next to one at the track). my 5sp type 1 ran 15.5 stock. hmmm....lets see....maxima = teh win!! auto maxima i dunno...much slower, but the 5sp will take you if he knows how to drive.

then again...i dunno about the type II (cuz i have type I)....i have more get up and go, but top end it will prolly be faster. not near 15.1 though IMO. i would be VERY impressed to see a stock legend go 15.1.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would too, and I am a bad example, I'm not stock, so it's hard to say. Id like to track my car and see exactly how fast it is. I'm sure the manual legends are about a 15.1 as well if Im not mistaken, and several guys here with some minor mods have broke high 14's. Im sure the auto maximas are about par with the auto type 1 legends.

·
Registered
78 Posts
man i've thought about this matchup for a long time. the 98 max was my second choice if i wasnt gonna get a gen2 legend. since i got my coupe ive been strollin around looking for a maxima to race, havent found it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A maxima with the above power specs was basically the only real (fair and square) street race i've ever been in. I have an Type II *auto* with a CAI, 2.5" piping and hi-flow equip (and not like any of that really matters hehe). The maxima was stick and we raced from two different stoplights. I didn't know about the 1-D3 trick at the time, so I started in D3, and I obviously lost off the line (a lawnmower with a clutch could beat a legend with a torque converter) but caught up and whizzed by in second, way gone by third. From a roll things were similar, in fact, it was easier to see the steep honda power curve in the legend, comapred to the maxima's which appeared to be more linear. That was cool. When I do my 6spd swap it will just be simple numbers, and the legend's are higher.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i think the typical end result from my experience (95 coupe type-II 6-speed 3" cold air intake with air-by-pass valve and R-1 mushroom filter, 2.5 exhaust piping, no catalytic, Greddy muffler) maxima would be left behind by at least one body length for every gear shift (shifting in high 6k RPM) however maxima might get a head start off the line, since it is much lighter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
shizamm said:
i think the typical end result from my experience (95 coupe type-II 6-speed 3" cold air intake with air-by-pass valve and R-1 mushroom filter, 2.5 exhaust piping, no catalytic, Greddy muffler) maxima would be left behind by at least one body length for every gear shift (shifting in high 6k RPM) however maxima might get a head start off the line, since it is much lighter.
LMFAO. you guys are comparing a stock maxima to highly modded Legends....2.5 piping, no cat, CAI, 6-speed....:wtf: of course a legend will pull away stock for stock is different. they are extremely close and may even win by very little. we get whatever we lost off the line in the end though so highway racing is no question. but next time you compare cars...compare stock for stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i've driven (err floored, rather) both cars cold/warm/wet/dry, basically under all conceivable conditions under these blue skies...mine is a 92 auto type I, and my mother has a '98 GLE (78k/super-posh condition!)...and off the line like its been said max will be ahead by a bit BUT as speeds climb further up we'll close the gap and proceed with the kill!...and like snk522 inquired both are bonestock (performance-wise - haha, mine actually has a very dirty airfilter that a JiffyLube dude showed me in disgust like 20k miles ago or something)...imagine what would happen with a Type II? (rhetorical question)...and one that is in fairly good condition (ie, mine is absolutely NOT - 251k/bhg/tb/wp due/uber dirrrty air filter)...
so a quick word to snk522: if you see an old fart in that style max and he looks like he ain't into mods and you see rediculously skinny (oem exh), skinny 205/60/15's and the road ahead of ya looks like it will allow 50-60mph ascend, do the following:
1 - roll your power seat back 4 inches, and butt side down 2 inches
2 - turn up da volume a bit (a lot, actually)
3 - level your windows (both sides) 6 inches form the top
4 - wrap right hand behind pass. side headrest (if USDM & auto, ofcourse)
5 - roll back sunroof 5-6 inches from close position (do #4 again...lol)
6 - and....(MOST IMPORTANTLY)....jus' chill...

·
Banned
953 Posts
SleeprLegend said:
The Legend will win. I have owned both a 1996 Maxima SE 5spd and a 1992 L Coupe 5spd. I was in the Legend and pulled up next to a 1996 Maxima SE 5-spd. We both went and I took him off the line easily and just walked away the whole time. That was a TypeI too.
Later!
Lee
Umm no you didnt. Unless u are an amazing driver and that was a n00b 16 yr old then yes. The Maxima will take any legend off the line period. Ive raced my friend Charlie plenty of times he has a 98 Maxima GLE I have a 91 LS coupe auto. On the highways I can eat him for lunch, but at lower speeds he always takes me. He even has a Check engine light on with 70K more miles than me and his car is abused. The legend will easily win from 60mph+ I know from experience. Maxima's also have the VQ30DE, the VQ engine has been rated the best v6 for what? 7 years or so?. So unless you take out your rear seats, spare tire, and other un needed stuff you will lose of the line, once u get in the higher speeds you will pull on him.

·
azn_legend
17 Posts
i had a maxima 96 5speed and with a 3.5 swap and my buddy had a legend coupe 5 speed 1992 we when at it once and i took him out with my max 3.5 , but b4 the swap i never came close the the coupe .so stock to stock the legend anytime .

·
Banned
953 Posts
azn_legend said:
i had a maxima 96 5speed and with a 3.5 swap and my buddy had a legend coupe 5 speed 1992 we when at it once and i took him out with my max 3.5 , but b4 the swap i never came close the the coupe .so stock to stock the legend anytime .
was the swap from the current 3.5 265 hp max? or the 00-03 Max?

·
LEGEND
503 Posts
I raced three maxima's before both 95 -97 model and a 2001
1. with cat-back exhaust and cold air intake auto he got :0wned: (three runs he was like :wtf: )
2. with cold air intake and exhaust 5spd he got :0wned: (both drag and top end) ...
3. we started at 45+ mph .. he blast off but I got him on the top end he was also like :wtf:(I have no chance with this car on the low end though)
oh I have a 5spd with a custom cold air intake (I made it).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.