Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a problem wiht an Acura 2017 RDX front wheel drive with the base stereo. When the iPod is connected via the USB port, the stereo randomly "reboots" or locks up until it's unplugged and plugged back in. Any idea what is causing this issue?

I have tried replacing the iPod and it does this with different units. I also swapped the cord with new cords, same issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did you do any updates on the iPod recently? Same issue with an iPhone?

I had the exact same issue with Carplay on my 19 MDX when I updated my iPhone 6s+ to I.O.S. 13.X.X. the info-tainment screens would either freeze, reboot, blank out, and act sporadic within minutes of connecting. Everything worked fine using streaming bluetooth. Wasn't until I.O.S. update 13.4.X was when my Carplay started working again (almost 3 months later).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do any updates on the iPod recently? Same issue with an iPhone?

I had the exact same issue with Carplay on my 19 MDX when I updated my iPhone 6s+ to I.O.S. 13.X.X. the info-tainment screens would either freeze, reboot, blank out, and act sporadic within minutes of connecting. Everything worked fine using streaming bluetooth. Wasn't until I.O.S. update 13.4.X was when my Carplay started working again (almost 3 months later).
Thanks for the reply, all the iPods that I tried with this were completely updated. It gets to be a safety issue when the system crashes while driving. A potential distraction... I guess the system is defecttive, but shows no other problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the reply, all the iPods that I tried with this were completely updated. It gets to be a safety issue when the system crashes while driving. A potential distraction... I guess the system is defecttive, but shows no other problems.
I don't know how to update the Acura system as new tech comes out with constant updates. There is a good chance others are having the same ipod crashing issue if you search Apple iPod fourms. The iPod fourms might have a fix or work around until the I.O.S. update can resolve the issue. Searching the iPhone Carplay forums when my system was crashing after an update was how I figured out my issue (and I just had to wait for Apple to fix).

·
Registered
9 Posts
...I don't know how to update the Acura system as new tech comes out with constant updates... I figured out my issue (and I just had to wait for Apple to fix).
You can't update the Acura infotainment system at pleasure. All you can do is go into the menus and check to see if an system update is provided. Separately, when it comes to CarPlay, most of the the tech that drives specifically CarPlay is a foundation of base code waiting for what to put on the screen and what to play through audio....Features, functionality, etc. for CarPlay largely get updated within IOS when our phones get updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how to update the Acura system as new tech comes out with constant updates. There is a good chance others are having the same ipod crashing issue if you search Apple iPod fourms. The iPod fourms might have a fix or work around until the I.O.S. update can resolve the issue. Searching the iPhone Carplay forums when my system was crashing after an update was how I figured out my issue (and I just had to wait for Apple to fix).
I should mention that most of these are older iPods, I have tried a few different models. The older ones stop at whatever IOS was around when they were new. I like the wire plug in style as the phone has to connect via bluetooth for hands free phone answering. So far I have used 4th gen touch Ipods and 3 different nano iPods. IT all works fine for a while then it starts crashing which makes it too dangerous to use. It's too tempting to look down and unplug the wire, let it reboot etc. Too easy to wreck under those situations. My current theory is that the base radios on those 2017 Acura RDX models are not really compatible with iPods at all.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would agree with you about Apple products not always being plug-n-play with Acura systems. Aux cord or bluetooth streaming seems to work better overall compared to wired from my experience. My RLX has the same set-up and the wired connection it is always dropping at random times too much and not it is not worth using (bluetooth works 100%). I don't know if the base non-navi Acura's can be upgraded to Navtool or GROM Carplay? That would future proof you with software updates and have a wireless Carplay option down the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts