Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly aquired 2006 acura tl, its been having some problems, the biggest being losing coolant and overheating the previous owner said she had a mechanic that specializes in acuras come and look at it , he claimed he tested the coolant system with a pressure tester and he said that he did everything he could do to get it to leak but it wouldn't leak , but when I open the hood I can see coolant residue all over the top of the engine and inside the hood , but there are no visible leaks otherwise, but I have to top off the coolant every few days to prevent overheating. How could it not leak under a pressure tester or when im parked and idling, but leak while im driving enough to see visible coolant residue all over the engine compartment ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've had a few high mileage Honda/Acura with occasional cooling issues. Problems I had were:
- worn radiator cap, coolant would start to squirt out once you got to operating temp. Any local auto parts store would have a replacement.

- radiator/condenser fans starting to fail. The wouldn't turn fast enough to cool the vehicle at low speeds or at stop lights. Engine temp would rise and A/C would sometimes stop working. Engine would cool down at hwy speeds. This would cause the coolant to spill all over the engine bay from the cap if it got too hot.

- Hairline crack in plastic part of radiator. Had this issue on my high mileage 97 Accord, 06 TSX, and 08 RDX. This issue wouldn't spill coolant all over the engine bay. It would leave crusty trails and puddles under the vehicle.

- Bad water pump with drips from bottom. Wouldn't spill all over engine bay, just crusty trails on engine.

- bad overflow hose to white radiator reservoir tank. This didn't cause overheating issues. The bad hose would suck in air into the cooling system. The air pocket would settle in the cabin heater core and I didn't have any heat in winter. New hose, purge air, no heating issues since. Something to be aware off with an older Acura.

Being an 06 TL, I would look at the radiator cap since that would be the cheapest to replace. If you are still having the issue, I would check to see what conditions causes the engine temp to raise and coolant spray like low speed city driving or sitting too long at a stop. I had to replace the coolant fans once and then a relay +5 years later on my 06 TSX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 2007 TL and it start leaking coolant at the bottom of the engine not sure where is it coming from but I jacked up the car I see some leaking at the engine where the pulleys are located not sure if it’s coming from the top or the water pump it continues to leak even the engine is not running

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had a few high mileage Honda/Acura with occasional cooling issues. Problems I had were:
- worn radiator cap, coolant would start to squirt out once you got to operating temp. Any local auto parts store would have a replacement.

- radiator/condenser fans starting to fail. The wouldn't turn fast enough to cool the vehicle at low speeds or at stop lights. Engine temp would rise and A/C would sometimes stop working. Engine would cool down at hwy speeds. This would cause the coolant to spill all over the engine bay from the cap if it got too hot.

- Hairline crack in plastic part of radiator. Had this issue on my high mileage 97 Accord, 06 TSX, and 08 RDX. This issue wouldn't spill coolant all over the engine bay. It would leave crusty trails and puddles under the vehicle.

- Bad water pump with drips from bottom. Wouldn't spill all over engine bay, just crusty trails on engine.

- bad overflow hose to white radiator reservoir tank. This didn't cause overheating issues. The bad hose would suck in air into the cooling system. The air pocket would settle in the cabin heater core and I didn't have any heat in winter. New hose, purge air, no heating issues since. Something to be aware off with an older Acura.

Being an 06 TL, I would look at the radiator cap since that would be the cheapest to replace. If you are still having the issue, I would check to see what conditions causes the engine temp to raise and coolant spray like low speed city driving or sitting too long at a stop. I had to replace the coolant fans once and then a relay +5 years later on my 06 TSX.
We'll check this 2005 TL with a mysterious coolant leak issue. The previous owner replaced the rad from a junkyard and it didn't fix the issue. We'll take a closer look when we finish installing the rear bumper and towing accessories on the truck this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts