Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea as to what kind of shocks I should put on my car? I'm dropped on the eibachs, and the road noise/bounciness is durable, but noticeable. I'm looking for a more stable ride. If anyone has any info on KYB, Tokico, or koni shocks.. i'd appreciate it.
thanks,
jyang411.

·
That is all.....
7,267 Posts
I say go with Koni. From what I've read they seem to be the most reliable, but I've been in one and the ride is a little more stiff then I would like it. After few more thousand miles I'm thinking about going with tiens. The ride is supposed to be really nice with little bounce and good ride quality.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Go with KONI's. I've had nothing but good experiences w/ them. I'm getting them VERY SOON! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
It really depends on what you are after. Do you want to stiffen up the ride even more? If so, get either the Tokico Illumina or Koni since they are both adjustable. The ride will be stiffer than what you have now. However, getting aftermarket shocks will NOT improve the road noise. It will help the bounciness of your car though. If you are after the softest ride, then either retain your setup or get Teins.

·
1,165 Posts
alright...i have GC coilovers with stock shocks cureewntly...and the ride is as bumpy as it can be... little bumps makes my head go up and down at least 4 times....and its constant...what kiknd of shocks are the best for the softness...not too bouncy...but in between my stage and stock spring set up stage? anyone?

·
I am no one
14,897 Posts
umm.... i am wondering.... i thought coilover will replace both your springs AND shocks? why can you have both the coilover and the stock shocks together?

·
Registered
114 Posts
[TL]Ridah said:
alright...i have GC coilovers with stock shocks cureewntly...and the ride is as bumpy as it can be... little bumps makes my head go up and down at least 4 times....and its constant...what kiknd of shocks are the best for the softness...not too bouncy...but in between my stage and stock spring set up stage? anyone?
If your TL is too bouncy, get the Tokico or the Koni, you can adjust the shocks to help eliminate the bouciness. One downside is that your ride will get even more harsh because you are basically stiffening up the shocks, but still, it is better than your car bouncing all over the road.

·
Registered
114 Posts
rominl said:
umm.... i am wondering.... i thought coilover will replace both your springs AND shocks? why can you have both the coilover and the stock shocks together?
The GC coilover is just a sleeve, no shocks. For those people that have not lowered their car yet and wants to replace both shocks/struts and springs, spend a little more and get the Teins.

·
1,165 Posts
yes...troo about the "spend more for teins" but...i bought my GCs long before the teins group buy started...and if aftermarket shocks are "too stiff"...woulnd't my ride be very stiff? meaning...when I go over little bumps...I would feel it all over the place? or would it be just solid ride....

·
2,075 Posts
Yes, Koni yellows are great stuff (so I've heard too). However, I've been told (and from what I've read) that Konis may not be the best match when we lower our cars. Some people have complained that the ride becomes too harsh when used with H&R Springs (sport & race) for example. Tokico may be a better choice. Anybody here knows what I'm talking about?

·
1,165 Posts
partick: i appreciate for the great information...the fact that Koni yellows are far better than any other shocks...sorta just made me wanna get the konis...without searching...my ride doesn't have to be so stiff...a little softness is what I lkie...I want my car to be low as it is...with a stock sort ride quality...get it? so whats my choice?

·
Registered
114 Posts
[TL]Ridah said:
partick: i appreciate for the great information...the fact that Koni yellows are far better than any other shocks...sorta just made me wanna get the konis...without searching...my ride doesn't have to be so stiff...a little softness is what I lkie...I want my car to be low as it is...with a stock sort ride quality...get it? so whats my choice?
If you want to retain the stock ride as much as possible, just stick with stock shocks until they blow, then get the Konis.

·
2,075 Posts
[TL]Ridah said:
As AcuraTL mentioned above, you could stay with your stock shocks until they blow. That's what I'm doing now. When my stock shocks die, I'll most likely get Tokico as I've been told that the ride is more comfy than Konis. But if you got the money to spend, go with a set of good coilovers. More expensive but you will get the lowering and stock soft ride.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Bilstein makes shocks for the TL's but most people think they are too expensive. Good stuff however.

·
2,075 Posts
valuetl said:
Bilstein makes shocks for the TL's but most people think they are too expensive. Good stuff however.
Expensive is an understatement Mike! Who's gonna dish out that much money just for shocks!?! You gotta be rich to afford those babies! :(

·
1,165 Posts
okay...how expensive are we talking with the bilsteins? I want adjustable shocks...(assuming its better for coilovers)...$400 for alll 4 of em? thats not bad...or does SET mean 2? Thanks

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.