Acura World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the specs on this puppy? What kind of mods are available? Where is this car available?

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Here's the best place to go for the specs on the EL:
http://english.acuracanada.ca/models/el_features.asp

It's very similar to the Civic EX sedan you've got in the U.S. We don't get the EX sedan here in Canada (and hence no 4 door Civic with VTEC or a moonroof), so the EL is a little more unique for us.

The other big things the EL adds that you can't get on any Civic (until the Si hatch...SiR in Canada comes out), is 4 wheel disc brakes, leather seats and door trim (Premium and Limited models only) with the front seats heated. There's also more sound insulation for a quieter ride and the suspension is tuned for a slightly better ride.

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Also forgot to point out, if you haven't already figured it out, is that this car is built and sold only in Canada. You can't get it anywhere else in the world.

Having said that, there are very few mods available specifically for this car, but since it is a Civic variant, many mods for the Civic would work on thsi car, with some notable cosmetic exceptions, as the bumper, lights, hood, etc. are slightly different in shape than the Civic.

·
Registered
23 Posts
they have EL in japan but just named Honda Domani.
for the japan version they have little different interior, cleared corners n singals, not like i spend hours n hours to clear it. plus they have trunk key holes

here are few pics of the japan domani i got from other form

·
Registered
9 Posts
The parts for the JDM Honda Domani are actually from Canada.

Domani/1.6EL was also exported (from Canada) to Taiwan. And the Honda Domani is also made/sold in Eastern Europe and Russia. Also sold as a rebadged "Isuzu Gemini" in some markets.

History Notes:

The Isuzu Gemini had 3 previous generations before Isuzu decided to stop producing cars and just rebadged the Honda Domani in 1993. And Honda rebadged Isuzu trucks for the Passport and Acura truck, up until they made their own MDX and Pilot.

In 1995 Rover made the 400 series from the Honda Domani with a modded roof line. Ironically, this car had a 5 door version which was sold as a Honda Civic in Europe.

The Acura 1.6EL was made and sold in Canada starting in late 1996 as a 1997 model. It was exported back to Japan as Honda Domani. It as also exported to taiwan. Isuzu also rebadged this one as a "Isuzu Vertex" in Thailand. Starting 1997 the Isuzu Gemini was a rebadged Honda Civic.

The Acura 1.7EL was created on the 7th generation Civic platform. This version appears to be, for the time being, unique to Canada.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So why is it we can't get those headlights here? We do export them so why can we sell them hear as an aftermarket or option accessory?:dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
The laws are different in Japan. They are required to have side markers, but we need to have the markers at the corners of the cars. Hence, they can have cleared lights and we get built-in side markers.

In the 1.7EL, they've made the headlights as clear as legally possible. From the front it looks all cleared, but from the side there's an intergrated reflector.

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
I wish we had sidemarkers on our cars, more for safety than anything else. It just seems that your car only has sidemarkers if it's from a European manufacturer or you're a ricer. It's bad enough that people don't see you're braking and almost plow into your car, despite those big red lights in the back. I don't like the fact that the front turn signals on the EL are on the bumper, which makes them impossible to see from the side of the car.

I would like to get them installed, but the fact that the metal in the side fenders need to be cut away kind of scares me...I hear it's also a nice place for rust to form...

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's true. Side-markers aren't just rice, they're a good safety feature.

·
Registered
14,122 Posts
can us Americans buy a used EL? if so sign me up bro I'll take two

·
Registered
14,122 Posts
nahh nothin there.. any other links?

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts