Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, ever since my car got vandalized and it required a new paint job, things just haven't been great for my car. Besides the bent chrome molding, and the myriad of other scratches, I now have a little chip on my rear passenger door near the handle.

It's not on the clearcoat, but you can't see the white beneath either. it's kinda like black-ish beneath.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried touchup paint for this?

i'm going to have my all the missing parts, and squeaks checked out by Gillman (who did the work on my car)..but that might not be for another month until school is over. (i'm never able to make it to houston during the weekday.)

Alright, let me know if ya'll have any experience. Also, for the other scratches, that are kinda on the clear coat.. does meguiars scratch-x work?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Touch-up paint will cover them, but IMO it actually looks worse, ironically. Touch-up paint, even when dutifully applied, never comes out right. :(

I personally used to use a dark-car polish (when I had my NBP CLS) and 3M swirl mark remover (for dark cars).

Got a pic by any chance?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Jyang411 said:
Alright, let me know if ya'll have any experience. Also, for the other scratches, that are kinda on the clear coat.. does meguiars scratch-x work?

thanks.
Jyang;

It depends on the scratch. Even though its on the clear coat, it still may be too deep to be removed with these abrasive formulas. Usually these are sold to remove swirls, which in effect are very light scratches. Go here for more info. If u still have questions, post them on this thread or pm me if u'd like....

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Touch-up paint will cover them, but IMO it actually looks worse, ironically. Touch-up paint, even when dutifully applied, never comes out right. :(

I personally used to use a dark-car polish (when I had my NBP CLS) and 3M swirl mark remover (for dark cars).

Got a pic by any chance?
Yes, a pic would help. BTW, lets not forget that touch up is just for that, to blend in exposed plastic or metal under the paint that has chipped off. When applied and sanded, it could look OK, but more than likely never like the original. A true solution is to paint the whole area over (but thats when the $$ factor comes in) ...

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Touch up paint isn't that great, but it does prevent your car from rusting if the chip goes all the way down to the metal.

Apply it with a fine pointed art brush, and not that big fat brush that comes with the bottle. Apply it a layer at a time until it's the same height as the paint surrounding it.

Also, touch up paint does not adhere to plastic surfaces like your bumpers! :mad:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies

Every comment was appreciated-- I'm going to try and get it taken care of as quickly as possible. I want this car to look and feel brand-spankin' new... except handle better and sound better.

I'll see if i can't get austin's help with the digi cam.
later all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.