Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Tire joint last night and got reffered to Yokohama AV Sport Tires. I was like :dunno:

I hear the tread may be a little weak in teh long run in comparison to Michelin Pilots A/S, but other than that I've heard good things.

Anyone?! Anyone?!

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
I almost got them instead of the Kumhos. I heard the treadwear was worse than the Kumhos (which usually means better grip), and they were more expensive. *shrug* I'm going Toyo T1-S next time personally if I can afford it - they have a stronger sidewall than the Kumhos, and that will help with autox-ing. :)

mffdvr said:
Went to the Tire joint last night and got reffered to Yokohama AV Sport Tires. I was like :dunno:

I hear the tread may be a little weak in teh long run in comparison to Michelin Pilots A/S, but other than that I've heard good things.

Anyone?! Anyone?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've decided on the bridgestone S03's personally.

I think that any tire that they will sell on a 2002//M3 has got to be the shiat. :);)

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Good point... how much are they per tire in 225/45/17?

TypeSKid said:
I've decided on the bridgestone S03's personally.

I think that any tire that they will sell on a 2002//M3 has got to be the shiat. :);)

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
autoxCLS said:
Good point... how much are they per tire in 225/45/17?

The Rack had them for $164/tire.

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
i just got some yoko's.

but i got the yk420's instead. they are an all-season performance. i have some thread around here somewhere with all the info for them.

they are the stock size and all ratings....

here is the link click me

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Kumho 712 Supra tires and you will never look back...

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
I agree - I have em. ;) $110 a tire from discount tire.

Infamuz said:

How much are they?

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4thGSi said:
I got the same....
What makes 'em so special?! I just found out last nite that I don't have a bubble/blister in my tire. I must've been smokin' something HEAVY. :rolleyes: I'm still curious.....even with a lower profile tire, will the wheel gap grow?! I'm asking since I don't have spring installed yet. Mucho appreciated info. BTW.....

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Infamuz said:
I hear that those tires are more stickier than stock.
Yeah...but with a lower profile will the whell gap grow bigger?! Our cars with stock suspension DON'T need that!!! That's the one thing I'm afraid of. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
mffdvr said:

Yeah...but with a lower profile will the whell gap grow bigger?! Our cars with stock suspension DON'T need that!!! That's the one thing I'm afraid of. :dunno:
It did a tad little bit on mine because of 45 series vs the stock 50 series profile, that's why we got some lowering spring to take the wheel gap. I'm still riding on stock spring so hopefully I buy spring for the CL very soon.. But the what you get is grippier tire, better looking thread design, improve handling wet and dry, and wider than stock Mich...

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Remember that the sidewall is a ratio compared to the tread width. With a 225/45 tire, the outside circumfrence is only different by 1.5% - in other words, the sidewall is roughly the same height as the stock 50 series - it's just got more of a "contact patch".

mffdvr said:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Did you have a set? What problems did you have / hear about? I hadn't heard anything really negative about them, but I would buy either the Toyo Proxies T1-S or the Michelin Pilot Sport in that order for price.

Closer said:
AVS Sport suck ass and are WAY overpriced. If you want a
high end tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport (summer only version)
and the Bridgestone S03's are the way to go.

·
Registered
14,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Closer said:
AVS Sport suck ass and are WAY overpriced. If you want a
high end tire, the Michelin Pilot Sport (summer only version)
and the Bridgestone S03's are the way to go.
Why the summer only?! Do you know something about the All Season Pilots'?!

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
There's a few things you can do to a summer-only tire that you can't do to a 4season tire. First, the compound can be softer. Softer usually = stickier. second, the tread blocks can be wider. Wider tread = larger contact area.

mffdvr said:

Why the summer only?! Do you know something about the All Season Pilots'?!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yeah, I have them right now. I was supposed to get Yokohama DNA Grand Prix, (japanese summer tire). But, customs refused to let them enter (not dot approved), so I got AVS Sport as my replacement. They have no traction!!! My previous set were Michelin Pilot Sports. I had very little wheel spin with full throttle at start and the handling was very sticky and predictable. They tracked very straight and comfortable. I can spin my AVS to 2nd gear without a problem. The handling is ok, but feels like it rolls more, even though it's a wider and lower profile tire than my Pilots were. Handling is less predictable also with more tail play than before. Driving straight lines on the freeway often result in pulls to the right or left as the tires try to follow every groove and crack on the road. For retail of over $250 a tire, these things are as bad as my old nittos. Unfortunately Pilots didn't come in my size and S03's were backordered for months. I'm too much of a coward to try Toyos. :) that's my review.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.