Acura World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a couple close calls with the tail end slipping out during sharp high speed turns. This thing breaks loose and fish tails uncontrollably? Its really not fun and is causing me to not drive this thing with much excitement...

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
256 Posts
its not supposed to do that.

get under neath your car and look at the rear sway bar.
you're going to be looking for something broken. something metal that snapped.

·
Lost in the Garden State
309 Posts
Also check tire pressures.

I run the fronts at about 32 PSI, (stock 16" wheels); and the rears, three pounds less.

If you have two new tires, they should go on the BACK.

PS: I drive like a maniac and have never "lost" the tail end on the Acura.
.8 G curves are FUN...:lol: :rofl:

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
If your lifting off the gas in the middle of a high g corner then you should be expecting a tail happy car. This is called throttle lift oversteer, the weight of the car is pushed onto the front wheels and increases traction there but is lifted from the rear wheels and reduces traction there. Rear wheels start to slip and then next thing you know you have a FWD car getting sideways which can be very difficult to control.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I had my mechanic check the car and nothing is wrong. The TL isnt exactly a track car, but it should still exhibit predictable handling, even at the limit. The post about throttle lift oversteer would explain some instances, but I tested it on my own with the car in tiptronic 2rd gear gunning it around a long sweeping level turn. The same thing is happening, the tail is pulling itself out? Strange for this car?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I had my mechanic check the car and nothing is wrong. The TL isnt exactly a track car, but it should still exhibit predictable handling, even at the limit. The post about throttle lift oversteer would explain some instances, but I tested it on my own with the car in tiptronic 2rd gear gunning it around a long sweeping level turn. The same thing is happening, the tail is pulling itself out? Strange for this car?
something mechanically wrong is happening.
your condition sounds as if I upgraded my Rear sway bar to a thicker one, and or if I didnt connect the end links properly.
the tail would come out in turns under these two conditions.

·
Lost in the Garden State
309 Posts
If all the rear links and suspension bushings are "tight" then get the car aligned. Do a 4 wheel alignment.

What tire pressures are you running? On that long sweeper, if you reduce pressure on the gas pedal, will the rear tuck in?

Normally a front-drive car exhibits UNDERSTEER. (front end "pushes", or runs wider than the driver expects)

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you push any FWD car had enough, the rear end will break loose, and once it does that it's very hard to control. There is probably nothing wrong with your car, that's just the way it is. I have a 01 Maxima that is the same way.

Also if your tires are worn or too hard, that could be making things worse too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too have had that happen once or twice, but it was mostly when it was raining or cold. Or pulling out of a parking lot, kinda strange to see the tail come out a bit when it's a FWD car.

Though I could just need new tires for the back, but they look fine.

·
Registered
256 Posts
^what you described "only when raining or cold" and "need new tires for the back" display the classic symptom of bald or no traction tires.
Get new tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts