Acura World banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i am considering Acura of my next car probably RLX, but since i have limited knowledge about them i started this topic,
are Acura eating /consuming a lot of oil like honda/accords in recent years or its better?
J35Y4 V6 accoring to wiki this is RLX engine does it consume a lot of oil like honda/accord for example every 1 litre per 1000 miles or something, does it have indicator if engine oil is low or u need manually to check it?
Are there any serious flaws with these cars in general like engine issues/transmission issues suspension issue or something else?

Also why on canada only less than 10 rlx are up for sale into the moment are these cars extremely rare?
Is it same story in usa , since i plan to import rlx from usa or canada to bg.

How Often Acura RLX engine timing chains etcs needs to be changed after how many miles, also how often should gearbox oil needed to be changed?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The Acura oil consumption issue was centered around the 3.7L port injection engine for the TL and MDX. I have a 3.7L 2011 MDX with +150,000 miles and my oil consumption has never changed and is around 1 1/2 quarts per 9000 miles oil change interval with Mobil 1 syn oil. Honda/Acura share engines like the 2.4L I4, 2.0L Turbo and 3.5L direct injection engine. Acura usually changes the engine programming to squeeze out a touch more hp/tq from running on 91 octane fuel compared to only needing 87 octane for the Honda version. You can still run the current Acura engines on 87 Octane fuel with some drop in hp/tq closer to Honda power levels. Oil consumption isn't an issue like it was before with the newer Acura.

I found this website with old Acura brochures of trim levels: Auto-Brochures.com|Acura Car, CUV & SUV PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info CL ILX Integra Legend MDX NSX RDX RL RLX RSX TL TLX TSX Vigor ZDX

You should check it out to see which model year and trim version you are looking to purchase. The RLX never sold in big numbers and sat on the lots unsold for months until Acura killed it off in 2020. The RLX hybrid version is in big demand now because of 2X to 4X higher gas prices compared to a few years ago. The maintenance intervals for Acura is the same for Honda for fluids, filters, tire rotation/balances, and timing belt/spark plugs/water pump at 7years or 105,000 miles. The RLX is divided by:

2014 to 2017:
  • 3.5L 310hp 6-speed transmission with technology or Adv packages with P-AWS (Precision All Wheel Steer)
  • 3.5L 377hp with 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission and sh-awd Sport Hybrid in tech, Adv, or Krell audio trim levels

2018 to 2020 with the updated exterior styling, updated front seats, and softer suspension (everything else almost the same as the 14-17 RLX):
  • 3.5L 310hp with 10 speed transmission with Technology with P-AWS (Precision All Wheel Steer)
  • 3.5L 377hp with 7 speed Dual Clutch Transmission and sh-awd Sport Hybrid Adv trim only

I have a 2018 RLX Sport Hybrid (17,000 miles) and 2019 MDX Adv Sport Hybrid (26,000 miles). Both are excellent vehicles with excellent handling, power, and comfort.

The wife's 2018 RLX Hybrid with blacked out chrome, window tint, and aftermarket rims.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

·
Registered
89 Posts
Had 3.5 ltre non direct injection in an Acura TSX had 160,000 miles on it before selling and it never lost any oil. Now have the 3.5 ltre direct injection TLX 15,000 miles and have not used any oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats great i will soon start my new/next job so i hope to be able to get ACURA RLX , real soon, i think its a real deal, where is cheap to buy ACURA RLX, is it cheap to buy used one in usa or canada or ?

Also i am just curious accord 10TH generation from honda does it have the same seats as acura i see in their high end tiers models same regulations can someone clarify?

take a look into the botton of the driver seat buttons.

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design

This is honda accord 10th generation

Here is acura rlx driver seat
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Plant

i just grabbed random pic from i-net but if the both seats are made from leather
are the regulation of the seat absolutely the same?
i am interested specially of the third botton from left to the right which is for the lumbar options.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The pic you have is from the 18-20 RLX. The 14-17 RLX seats look very similar to the Accord seat in your above picture. The round lumbar button adjusts the lumbar in/out and up/down on your back side. The Adv or Hybrid Adv RLX has heated and ventilated front seats.

The seat controls look the same; but, the seats and cockpit would be different in both vehicles. I'm 6'3", size 14 shoe, and close to 300 lbs. The RLX seating position is very wide, a lot of elbow room, plenty of leg room, and soft touch materials for a comfy ride. The RLX is probably has the lowest wind/road noise levels of any Acura or Honda with extra insulation and noise dampening materials. Factor in the Krell audio and that is one of the top sound system Acura has placed into a vehicle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda claims in 10th gen of accord they have big improved sound isolation to me they just copied old stuff like seats etcs from that acura rlx and implented them cheaply inside the accord- these are innovations for 10th gen of accord.( New features available include front and rear parking sensors, magnetorheological dampers, acoustic PVB laminated front door glass, 6" automotive head-up display (HUD), and 4-way height-adjustable power lumbar driver's seat. The vehicle is equipped with standard Honda Sensing (adding traffic sign recognition) on all models in the U.S. )
This pvb laminated front door glass sounds to me some sort of sound isolation.

Where is cheap to buy ACURA RLX, is it cheap to buy used one in Usa or Canada or and which places sites :) ? Is it a good time to buy used car or its better to wait due to the chip shortage used cars market is crazy high..

mrgold35
Why your pms are disabled :) ?

Also car audio on every car can always be upgraded , i like the relibility, :)
of the honda/acura.

Whats the differences between RLX before and after face lift exactly ?
Are there any new technologies inside or ,better brakes or something major?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The updates for the 18-20 RLX was exterior updates to the body and updated rims. Interior updates are the updated front seats and a minor change to the battery pack for the hybrid model. The RLX wasn't selling well in North America by the 2018 model year and Acura didn't do all the modernization like they did for the TLX model (no electronic dampers, no updated touch screen, doesn't have the 4 IDS modes, no real wood trim. no Carplay, no wireless charging). Acura also trimmed down the models for 18-20 with:

• RLX tech, ELS audio, fwd only, 3.5L+10AT for 310 hp, 4 wheel steer
  • RLX Sport Hybrid in Adv trim, 3.5L+7DCT for 377hp, sh-awd, HUD, 360 camera, heat/ventilated front seats, Krell audio, slightly larger front brakes, 15 gal gas tank (only downside to make room for EV components)

The +18 RLX hybrid is the model most go for because of the extra 377hp/341tq, 4.9 sec 0-60 times, sh-awd, tq vectoring, regen braking, and mpgs of 28-34 in city or hwy driving.

Acura made more range of models for the 14-17 model year with or with out hybrid tech in tech and adv trim. One MAJOR downside with the RLX is availability of parts for a discontinued vehicle mostly sold in Japan or North America. Some folks do wait for months for windshield replacement or OEM parts specific to the RLX. It would less of an issue with the Accord.

I found my RLX on AutoTrader, used in Dec 2019 with 7200 miles on her. Selection was very limited when I was looking and prices for the RLX were rock bottom before the start of the pandemic. I purchased my RLX from an Acura dealership 18 hour drive away from where I live without test driving it. I flew one-way, signed all paperwork, and drove it back home. The exact same RLX hybrid with that kind of mileage is more expensive today almost 2 years after I purchased it. There would be less of a mark-up with a new Accord compared to an used RLX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is gearbox same before and after face lift on petrol models 3.5 engine ?
Also for how much did u bought your car right now in canada less than 6 cars are for sale... in total from rlx, in usa little bit more.. but prices i think they are increased ,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Non hybrid 3.5L DI engine 2014-2017 used the 6AT
Non hybrid 3.5L DI engine 2018-2020 used the 10AT
2014-2020 RLX hybrid always used the 7DCT

There was zero changes in the 2018-2020 model years of the hybrid and non-hybrid RLX. Only the blue-book value and the basic/powertrain warranty state/end times are different between the model years.

The exchange rate is different in Canada compared to USA and not a dollar for dollar comparison. Acura/Honda also adds some extra features for the Canadian market that might cost extra for the USA or not offered for the USA market. Cars on the east coast of USA will have more rust on average because the states use salt on winter roads. The mid-west and west USA have milder to no winters and use very little salt or sand. Purchasing a car a few years old from the east coast might show more rust damage compared to same vehicle from the west coast.

I found this web-link for old Acura brochures. Some are for Canadian vehicles and other for USA versions. It can give you a look at the RLX before and after the face lift and features.

I paid $41,000 for my 18 RLX Sport Hybrid with 7200 miles in Dec of 2019. It came Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) with a 100,000 miles extended warranty on powertrain and bumper-to-bumper, window tint, all weather mats, and clear bra on front end. This was before the pandemic hit, the 2020 RLX was still being sold new for MSRP of $62,000, every Acura dealership had 1-5 RLXs on the lot, and sells were probably just a handful a month nationwide.

A lot of folks lease the RLX. Those 3 year leases are ending for the 18-19 RLXs. You have to check Autotrader every week to catch a lease return in the mileage and color combo you are looking for as soon as possible. The Hybrid RLXs are only sitting on the lot for a few days before someone drive cross country to purchase sight unseen (gas prices has double since last summer).

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don't know off the top of my head because I live a few miles from the border of USA/Mexico. You might have to check out other Acura forums (like @curazine) for members own RLXs that live in Canada. The 18-20 RLX will just be a fwd tech model that hasn't changed since 2014 other than exterior styling. You would probably get more features with the newest Honda Accord for the same price as an used 18-20 RLX tech.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) Great info,

where i can see all cars which are in the same class as acura rlx - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acura_RLX

according to wikipedia RLX is executive car class e- but i dont know how to see all executive for usa market i can see them only for europe,
Honda accord have turbo engines now...
and most powerfull engine cost way more compared to used acura with 3.5 non turbo engine with petrol :)
also seats will be with less leather quality..
this is my assumption of course i cant test both cars i have been inside 1 acura rlx and IT was amazing car! I have driven it 10 miles and i was amazed great great car!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The North American RLX (or Japanese Honda Legend) isn't advertised as an Executive car here compared to Europe or Japan. Executive sedan in North America would be the 7 series BMW, S-class M-B, Lexus LS, or Audi A8/S8. Luxury sedans have been on the decline in North American in the last decade because of SUVs becoming more popular. Luxury sedan sells and resell values have fallen off the charts in recent years and the Acura RLX was already at the bottom of the list:

2014 to 2020 Acura RLX competition:
Audi A6
Cadillac CT6/XTS/CTS
Hyundai Genesis
Infiniti Q70
Lexus GS
Lincoln MKS
Mercedes-Benz E Class
Volvo S80/S90

If I didn't have my RLX, my personal 2nd pick would have been the Lexus GS. Priced around the same as the RLX, same reliability as the mileage piles up, lots of luxury features, and the styling seems to age better compared to European designs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This chart is from european wikipedia :)
dont u have americans cars like simular acura rlx which available only in american market?
For Example in europe we have SKODA/Seat and other brands... lots of VW etcs..

How comparable to ACURA RLX is acura TLX? their engines petrol engines are simular or same, also their features are same blind spot mirrors etcs...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Other than Cadillac, most other American luxury sedans were replaced with luxury SUVs. American brands have either stopped making large sedans or only make compact economy cars. American car makers mostly make cross over CUV/SUVs, sports cars like Corvette/Camaro/Mustang/Challenger, Trucks. Dodge/Chrysler still makes sedans like the Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300. Trucks, SUVs, minivans, or compact cars are mostly what sells with USA auto makers.

You just have to decide on what year of the TLX you want:
2015-2020: 206hp I-4 w/ 8DCT or 290 hp 3.5L DI w/ 9AT in fwd or sh-awd
+2021 TLX 272hp 2.0T w/ 10AT in fwd or sh-awd (3.0T 355hp TLX Type-S also)

Same features as the RLX with Acurawatch safety features. Same 3.5L engine for both; but the RLX makes 310hp/272tq (RLX had either a 6AT or 10AT) The later years of TLX added Carplay; which, would come in handy if you take the TLX out of North America and have a smartphone. The TLX will have a smaller cockpit, smaller back seat, and a sportier ride compared to the RLX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In Bg , we dont like Suv and we dont drive Suv, these cars are gimmicks.
We dont like Suvs or cross overs here in bg.

The things which i dont like inside TLX are it doesnt have front double wishbone suspension,
it doesnt have 4 way adjustable lumbar support, which is critical for both of us,
other things we dont care much we like that engine is 3.5 petrol non turbo.
on both cars,

Rlx is extremely hard to find right now.. why people doesnt sale the car if they doesnt like it since it have few sales- same story with gs very few cars i mean in decent shape condition with top of the line full options list most cars are bare models or base models..

We also doesnt like Sportier ride we preffer limousine -comfort not sporty harsh ride.
For limousine comfort ride - should we go with expensive rlx ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The 14-17 RLX had a stiffer suspension and sporty ride. The 18-20 RLX really softened the ride to limousine levels for a very smooth and comfy ride on rough city streets or highway travel. The extra room in the front and back seats are really comfortable places to be on any length of road trip.

The only issue that seems to be unique to the RLX is the 19" rims and low profile 245/40/19 tires. The RLX tires/rims hate pot holes and you can easily bend a rim or cause a pinch flat in the tire sidewall. I did this 2 days after purchase hitting a winter weather caused pothole on the highway and got a pinch flat in the tire sidewall (tire was flat in 2 minutes). I was lucky not to bend the rim and I purchased the spare tire kit for the RLX at the time of purchase (RLX does not come with a spare tire). It took almost two weeks for the replacement tire to come in and set an appointment to mount. Others have bent the rim on similar pothole sizes and replacement rims were every expensive and hard to find. I've switched to aftermarket rims because those are easy to find, cheaper to replace, and dress up the RLX for a sporty look.

The RLX or even the Lexus GS were not big sellers in North American because of the truck and SUV market growing so large. There is a small handful of people that have these types of sedans and REALLY love them (like myself). These are the same folks that might have an older model RLX or GS and are upgrading to a more expensive used model since prices are still lower than new. My 18 RLX hybrid was $62,000 new and $41,000 used a year later in Dec of 2019 when I purchased it.

The North American used car market prices are about 20% to 30% overpriced right now. New cars are in even shorter supply because of shipping delays and the world wide microchip shortage. People that need a new car are paying 10% to 20% higher prices for cars they have to order for delivery weeks to months down the road. Some people are stuck purchasing an used car for 30% higher today or wait for a new car 1-3 months down the road. The car supply/price issues might take until the end of 2022 or even into 2023 to get back to normal. The selection was 10 times better and prices were $5000-$10,000 cheaper for new or used in 2019 when I was looking.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does Acura TLX petrol engine for example 3.5 engine , have better brakes compared to rlx, i see on ebay that they have front dual calipers/brake pistons duals i think on rlx they use single brake calipers pistons not dual like tlx ?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 18 RLX hybrid has single piston calipers. I don't the specs of the TLX brakes and the performance of the TLX -vs- RLX in braking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts