Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any way to make it so you can manually shift from 1st to 2nd in sportshift mode? I know the RSX 5-speed autos are like this...:dunno:

·
I am no one
14,897 Posts
badazzTL said:
is there any way to make it so you can manually shift from 1st to 2nd in sportshift mode? I know the RSX 5-speed autos are like this...:dunno:
nop. the tranny in rsx is a totally redesigned one that's why it can do it. with ours you won't be able to do that

·
Registered
370 Posts
hahaha....99TL's don't autoshift. "one mark for the 99":bash:

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,086 Posts
Yeah, I've always wondered why it shifts 1st to 2nd automatically in SS mode??? Also, it down shifts, too That sucks!!!

What's the difference as leaving in D5 then?? :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
370 Posts
9's can gate shift. "two for the 99 vs. one for 00-03" haha

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
SimTypeS said:

How fast can the '99's go in 1st?
Don't know but I will find out. But I can go up to ~122 mph in 3rd using SS (125 mph and still pulling in 3rd with my CT headers).....so how fast is the type-s in 3rd? Last I heard the type-s can only go up to like 90-100 mph in 3rd, is that true?

·
Registered
16,358 Posts
BlackShadow said:

Don't know but I will find out. But I can go up to ~122 mph in 3rd using SS (125 mph and still pulling in 3rd with my CT headers).....so how fast is the type-s in 3rd? Last I heard the type-s can only go up to like 90-100 mph in 3rd, is that true?
I forget the rpm, but at least 115 mph.

·
Registered
16,358 Posts
Throtex said:
There's no real need to manually shift it anyway. If you're at WOT, it'll hold to redline. This goes for both D5 and SS mode. At least, that's my experience.
Well, there are times when I want to hold 1st, like when there is a sharp corner coming up, and I want to take it pretty fast. If I was in SS, or D5, and let off the gas it would shift to 2nd, then when I went WOT, it would take time to shift. So, it has it's benefits.

·
magic number ==> 69
320 Posts
question

what do you guy mean by " gate shifting "??:dunno:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The auto shift from 1->2 is a "convenience" feature. For your workday driving, you'd probably want to shift up to 2nd gear as soon as possible to keep your RPM low. During a left turn into an intersection, etc., that would place the shift point right in the middle of your maneuver. I suppose the folks at Acura thought that manually shifting in those conditions would detract from the "luxury" feel of the car.

I kind of like the auto shifting, actually. If I really wanted to launch the car, I'd just stomp on the gas and it'll hold 1st gear all the way to redline.

Besides, most of my driving isn't racing. :dunno:

·
I am no one
14,897 Posts
daverman said:
The auto shift from 1->2 is a "convenience" feature. For your workday driving, you'd probably want to shift up to 2nd gear as soon as possible to keep your RPM low. During a left turn into an intersection, etc., that would place the shift point right in the middle of your maneuver. I suppose the folks at Acura thought that manually shifting in those conditions would detract from the "luxury" feel of the car.

I kind of like the auto shifting, actually. If I really wanted to launch the car, I'd just stomp on the gas and it'll hold 1st gear all the way to redline.

Besides, most of my driving isn't racing. :dunno:
hard to say dave, i am sure someone will race with the tls more than just drive it :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.