Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

what is the normal wear and tear battery life for 00 acura rl? does anyone know?

if i take it to autozone, would they tell me how much battery life i have left?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I might be wrong... but I don't think Battery Life can really be measured... you will just get up one day and the battery will be dead... maybe someone will have a better answer ;)

·
2000RL
173 Posts
My 2000 has the original Acura/Honda battery in it and it's still working great. Depending on where you live most auto parts stores have a unit that they can wheeel out to your car. Some do it for free (Autozone does it for free). It can test a car's battery, alternator, starter, and voltage regulator. Just getting a voltage reading does not tell you much. Putting a load on the battery to see what amperage it's putting out is what you need. A worn out battery can work great in a hot climate but if you live where it gets cold one morning it won't cut it anymore. If your car is starting "with no problems" and all your lights/accessories are working I would'nt be overly concerned. Bear in mind these places are in the business of selling you things. Find a mechanic "you can trust" so your not at the mercy of salesman all the time. Or you can pick up a battery charger at most Big Box stores or Sears that are handy to have, and many of them today can test the alternator also. It's a good investment for any car owner. The owner's manual and/or a factory service manual are good investments also.

·
40 Posts
If you are still on the OEM battery then IMHO you are living on borrow time. My '00RL and '03 MDX batteries lasted about 4 years.

Autozone will test them for you, but can't give you life left. I put the mid-range autozone in my MDX and it failed this summer after 9 months. They replaced it no problem.

I have found that modern batteries just shoot craps when they are done. I am usually out of town and my wife calls me to tell me the car/suv won't start...:sqnteek:

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
Most OEM battery's suck and only last about 2.5 years at most. My 04 battery crapped out last summer so I replaced it with an Interstate 5 year warranty battery......:beerchug:

·
336 Posts
My '96 Acura RL has had two batteries in its 12 years. The original one and the one I got from WalMart (yes, I am a cheap bastard) in 2002. Got 240,000+ miles now. I live in NH. On my cars, I usually have batteries die in early summer when it starts getting hot... Don't know why...

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
during our mild winters, I generally play XM from the car while I hand wax (zaino) and detail the RL thus weakening the OEM battery? I had to jump it once and ever since then it really never charge back up, so I just replaced it with an Interstate.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
our 98 has the OEM battery in it. Though, I do think it is about due, since the color is changing in the little window on the battery, and it cranks a little slow. We have 30K miles on the car now.

·
Registered
234 Posts
my '04's battery kicked the bucket about a week ago...lasted a little over 3 years.

despite the battery saying it was "good" as per the indicator...my CCA's were at 142 when they were supposed to be a 550.

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
My 04 OEM bat started to crank slowly perhaps because I play the radio while waxing/detailing in my garage......so upon seeking a new one (better than oem for sure) the store owner told me to AVOID batteries with that indicator as they are NOT accurate. He said to stick with an Interstate 5 year battery which is what I did....:beerchug:

BTW: my oem batter lasted about 2.5 years at most.....

·
Registered
62 Posts
our 98 has the OEM battery in it. Though, I do think it is about due, since the color is changing in the little window on the battery, and it cranks a little slow. We have 30K miles on the car now.
Wow a 98 with 30K miles. Mine has 178K. Still looks/runs great. I think I'm going for the second timing belt/waterpump next week.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told by a mechanic that you can just leave the car running and switch out the old battery with the new battery and you don't have to worry about the radio codes, etc...when you take the battery out, the car still stays running from the alternator!!!!

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
I was told by a mechanic that you can just leave the car running and switch out the old battery with the new battery and you don't have to worry about the radio codes, etc...when you take the battery out, the car still stays running from the alternator!!!!
I wouldn't recommend that. Any short-circuit will kill the car's electronic.

The more you drive around and use the car, the better for the battery's life. If the car stands around for weeks and drives on Sundays only, the battery won't last for long.

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
so I better start my RL up and drive her more huh? It sitting in the garage wrapped up ain't good for the battery? I ONLY drive her on drop dead gorgeous days.....she's never seen rain, dust, gravel and certainly snow.....LOL:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :spit:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Original Poster ask what is normal life of battery.
I always get the dealer special add flyers from my Acura dealer & have got many since my car was new almost 9yrs ago. They say if your battery is over 4yrs old it is time to replace it. I replaced the original battery when the car was 3yrs old, It had no known problems when replaced. I replaced it with a Sears Diehard Gold 3yr warranty. I had purchased this same type of battery for other cars in the family. The Diehard Gold was just replaced this past summer after 5yrs of service. I had the car in for service this spring at the dealer & they said the battery was reading way low & gave me a computer printout the positive battery cable was also corroded & needed replacing. I went for several months until I got the money to do each. I went to Sears & purchased the Deihard Platinum Battery. It has a full 4yr warranty & is made like the Optima type battery. It has a few more features that the Optima does not have & cost $189.00. So if the battery is over 4yrs get it checked because just because it cranks the car it still could be reading low like the one in my TL.
We had a 89 Buick in the family & just got rid of it a few weeks ago. My sister purchased a new car for my nephew. I put a Sears Deihard Gold in that 89 Buick back in the summer of 2000. I just replaced that same battery this past summer of 2008. It still was cranking but did not wan't to go into hottes part of summer with that old battery. We had no idea we would be replacing the car this fall. The 89 Buick did not have power windows, seats or alarm system the radio was stock also. So the 3 or 4 year battery check rule on our cars would be a good idea. If it is the Optima or Sears Platinum type battery you may not need to check them at that interval.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys, I wanted to replace with OEM acura but they wanted $113....so I went to honda and bought the same 550cc battery for $78....Honda Parts guy told me that it is exact same battery as Acura's, it just has honda label on it! 100 month warranty!

·
Running on LPG
351 Posts
so I better start my RL up and drive her more huh? It sitting in the garage wrapped up ain't good for the battery? I ONLY drive her on drop dead gorgeous days.....she's never seen rain, dust, gravel and certainly snow.....LOL:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :spit:
yeah, you should. enjoy her as much as you can :wavey:
I have the same "problem" with my Lexus now. It is a pure sunday car and now the battery died after 3 months. Before I downgraded the LS from daily driver to sunday driver the battery was in perfect condition.

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
I know features like "auto on/off headlights should be put in OFF mode if park for long periods of time as I've been told features like that are still pulling current from the battery. Another one is like "auto windshield wipers" again if you have that "turn it off" as it is draining power from your battery.
When I crank her, she starts like a charm. I make sure to at least start her bi weekly......I replaced the OEM battery with a Interstate 5 year battery....anything is better than those OEM batteries! :wavey: :wavey:

·
2000 RL
40 Posts
Batteries and Thermostats die when there is a sudden temperature and/or humidity change. Where this happens a lot think 3-5 years for a battery. Where this happens very little think 5-7 years for a battery. There are outliers and unique situations, but that is a good estimate. Once any battery any where hits 7 years, it's on borrowed time, pack your jumper cables.

What is happening to the battery/thermostats is they are weakening over the course of the summer/winter then when there is a sudden change they give out. Just can't take the big change.

Autozone et. al. can check your battery. But, they checked my brother-in-laws battery for his 03 BMW, hooked it up to the machine inside and let it sit for an hour. It got the ok, dropped it back in the car, drove home, battery died that night. Cell was dead. The machines aren't always right.

Changing the battery with the car on. Yeah, maybe, if you had to. The car runs off the alternator when the engine is turning and merely charges the battery. But, some computers might kill the engine if there's no battery to charge. And FYI, it's vice versa sometimes if the alternator dies, the engine shuts off to keep your battery from dieing. Not sure what the RL does.

Keeping the RL is stasis for 10 years... She needs to live!!! It's probably good for the battery life because; A) the car isn't constantly charging the battery, B) the temperature remains constant, and C) you probably have a trickle charge keeping that puppy alive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts